GUE Fundamentals Rec/Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't feel any pressure to take Fundamentals in doubles. I took the class in a single tank, and you learn all the same skills in a single-tank as for the double-tank with the exception of the valve drill. After you take your Fundamentals class, you will be in a position to make a more informed decision for yourself whether you want to pursue the double-tank configuration.

I kind of think that GUE should restructure their courses to create a single-tank recreational fundamentals course and a double-tank technical fundamentals course, with a requirement of 25 dives between them and no way to "test" out of the recreational pass. Make it actually mandatory to take the rec course in a single tank config and ban the use of doubles (no students attempting to turn the rec single-tank course into a tech double-tank course).

Then all the silliness of getting into doubles and getting in 150 dives before taking fundies so that you can nail that tech pass the first time around goes away. Might as well just enroll in the rec course in a single tank around dive #25 or so and get it out of the way...

I kind of think that GUE should restructure their courses to create a single-tank recreational fundamentals course and a double-tank technical fundamentals course, with a requirement of 25 dives between them and no way to "test" out of the recreational pass. Make it actually mandatory to take the rec course in a single tank config and ban the use of doubles (no students attempting to turn the rec single-tank course into a tech double-tank course).

Then all the silliness of getting into doubles and getting in 150 dives before taking fundies so that you can nail that tech pass the first time around goes away. Might as well just enroll in the rec course in a single tank around dive #25 or so and get it out of the way...

Sounds kind of ridiculous for people that were already diving doubles when they found out about GUE, and don't normally dive single tanks. Pretty much 99% of the diving I do is in doubles. There are a lot of people online that complain about how difficult the class is, but there are some of us that had adequate training prior to fundies that didn't find it unrealistic to obtain a technical pass on your first attempt. If GUE restructured and made a recreational class mandatory I for one would have probably thought twice about it, because I'd essentially be wasting my money on the recreational class. GUE charges enough money for the courses they offer, no need to start nickel and diming and "breaking things down". :no:

just my $0.02 :)

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with StreetDoctor, no need for two seperate courses. I did a practice dive with our intern yesterday and my teammate for the class is an experienced tech diver who will be going on to a Tech1 class after Fundies, why shortchange him? Granted, I will probably be lucky to attain a rec pass, even though I am aiming for a tech pass and doing Fundies in double tanks with a can light.

The only way I can see a restructuring work is for something similar to UTD's points of entry: either Essentials or Intro To Tech. That way those who are capable of technical-level skills can bypass others and be in a class with similarly-skilled teammates, while Essentials is directed more at rec divers who may or may not have an interest in technical diving, so they are more likely to be paired with similarly-skilled divers and the learning/instructor feedback is spread evenly.

Peace,
Greg

]If GUE restructured and made a recreational class mandatory I for one would have probably thought twice about it, because I'd essentially be wasting my money on the recreational class.

I don't see that as a problem with my proposal.

And I doubt you'd be wasting your money with a decent GUE instructor.

GUE has already started "breaking things down" if students desire smaller stepping stones to progress. There's a GUE Primer class to help prep for Fundamentals. There's a Rec 3 class for people who do not want to jump directly into Tech 1. There's a Tech 1+ class if you do not want to jump directly into Tech 2. They also have a Doubles Primer class and a Drysuit class to help prepare you for your Fundamentals class as well.

I don't see that as a problem with my proposal.

And I doubt you'd be wasting your money with a decent GUE instructor.

In your proposal you stated making it mandatory to do the recreational class first... That's what I was commenting on. They've restructured now and are offering more "steps" if the student so chooses which I think is a fine idea, just don't make it mandatory.

GUE has already started "breaking things down" if students desire smaller stepping stones to progress. There's a GUE Primer class to help prep for Fundamentals. There's a Rec 3 class for people who do not want to jump directly into Tech 1. There's a Tech 1+ class if you do not want to jump directly into Tech 2. They also have a Doubles Primer class and a Drysuit class to help prepare you for your Fundamentals class as well.

None of which are mandatory to proceed on to the next class. I guess my team was the only group that didn't feel fundamentals was an impossible course, and all passed the first go-round. :idk: :wink: I'm glad that I have it behind me then :)

Definitely just take it in singles. You'll be learning enough as it is without throwing one more variable into the mix.

BTW there are a bunch of UK dive folks on dir-explorers.com, so you can post there to find a buddy/mentor and get in dives with them before/after Fundies.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom