DIR- GUE GUE Fundies Price Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aangaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to take fundies the price is quoted at $950 + $75 registration. Since the instructor is traveling, we would have to cover his travel expenses too. In addition, I would need to rent the equipment setup and pay site entry fees.

I don't have much time off right now, so I requested the course to be divided between two weekends. I'm expecting the total to come about to around $1400. Is this a reasonable price for fundies all things considered?

Price seems normal, GUE instructors don't come cheap.

If I were you, I would try to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success. Depending on your current skill level and physical fitness, Fundies can be a very demanding course, despite containing just basic open water skills. Think very long hours combined with physically and emotionally draining dives.

Your course experience will be very different if you can stay close to the dive site for 4 days, as opposed to commuting for 2 weekends. If this is your first technical diving course, you could end up paying twice because it could all become just a bit overwhelming. I think your instructor might mention these concerns too.

Are you renting equipment for the instructor or yourself? Normally instructors travel with all their gear except tanks and weights. You might be able to borrow those from other local GUE divers to save a little money. If you're renting for yourself then I would suggest buying a full set of gear and get comfortable with it before taking Fundamentals.

That is cheaper than my fundies class was.

I'd also recommend waiting until you can do the class one week through. I don't know the actual statistics but I'd wager that those doing the class over 2 weekends are less likely to pass than those taking it over 5 days back to back.

I'd also recommend waiting until you can do the class one week through. I don't know the actual statistics but I'd wager that those doing the class over 2 weekends are less likely to pass than those taking it over 5 days back to back.
Hard to say. But I think I would have liked 2 weekends where I'd have time to dive after work during the week. Though not everyone has that luxury.

It was a rather cold shower. Mine was 4 days back to back IIRC.

For Michigan or Florida, that is a cheap price.

I have been bugging my fundies instructor to double her pricing. She’s booked out a year in advance, and burning the candle at both ends. She can’t do that forever. And the simple solution is: charge more. She can make the same amount of money and actually have a sustainable lifestyle.

And even at twice the cost, it would still be worth every bit that you pay for it.

But she won’t, because she doesn’t want to price it out where people can’t afford it, and it’s already so expensive.

And I told her to do it exactly the way you’re describing: two weekends. (ETA two three-day weekends). It would actually open it up to more people, because for many people it’s not the cost, it’s the week or more that they can’t devote to it. She gets a sustainable lifestyle, people get a more flexible schedule. But she won’t do it.

I guess this is long-winded way of saying you have what I think is just about the ideal situation, and a very reasonable price. I would jump on it. :)

For Michigan or Florida, that is a cheap price.

I have been bugging my fundies instructor to double her pricing.
I’m pretty sure fundies is the one class gue has a say in how much can be charged since it’s an entry level class meant to allow people to explore what gue is about.
I’m assuming you’re talking about mer

If you go the the pool and practice all the stuff in part I it will help. If you don’t do that becuase you have this whole work/family thing I think it would hurt.

are you diving in the Dallas area? possibly organized by Scuba Adventures? or are you bringing in someone else?

either way---the price is what it is, and that's in the ballpark. many of the instructors that come to Texas are staying with a friend, and will try to keep food/transport prices low. Depending on who and when, I may see you there..I'll likely be in Dallas area this weekend to dive with a fundies class! (as an observer--several of the instructors are friends and we come along to help out with the logistics when we can)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom