Guide suggestions for San Diego / LA Jolla area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks they are going to the Coronados Islands with water horse for a 3 dive. This is what I would like to do but may be to much time..

That is what I thought on the dive boats. I'd like to get a few more ocean dives under my belt before being off on my own.

I'll give SD expeditions a call as well.

Los Coronado Islands are a really cool place. If the local sea lion population decides to be cooperative, diving there can be spectacular.

I did a three tank Coronados trip with the Waterhorse Charters folks last spring. Navigation at the dive sites we hit really wasn't a big challenge. Current was a bigger challenge on the day I was there; of course, it's the Pacific Ocean so it's hard to predict exactly what conditions will be like. The Humboldt Skipper gives very good site and safety briefings.

-AZTinman

I am a there and have a day, so day to try is fixed diver. I am also a magnet for waves from the wrong direction.

In 4 tries for La Jolla cove made it out once. [was a nice dive]
In 2 tries for La Jolla shore made it out once.
Went out on Waterhorse to the Pt Loma Kelp beds. Nice easy dives. They had some OW students on the boat. I did not want to mess with an instabuddy on those dives so hired a DM from Sport Chalet (because it was their charter)

I will add that diving off a boat like waterhorse can sometimes be much easier than a place like LaJolla shores where you may have to deal with surf entries and, by my standards, a fairly long swim to get out to the drop off.

Call San Diego divers and the marrissa dive charters two top notch operators in San Diego. SAn Diego divers has the best full service dive shop around. Dive bums an excellent resource you can often find locals to dive with u! Best of luck!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom