gun size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T Sparks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so im a nubie into scuba diving and want to get into freediving and spearfishing.

what is the difference between the size of guns? longer guns = more reach. what size would be used in what type of condition? long guns used in open water, smaller guns in kelp and rocks. i really would like to learn.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to SCUBABoard!

Best place to find out about fishing in your area is on SpearBoard California section.

Speargun length is depended on quarry, visibility and distance of shot.

For instance low visibility like NorCal, we tend to shorter guns 60-80cm. While larger fish such as WSB require a longer gun with a larger spear shaft.

It may be best to think what type of fish you like to eat. Lucky for you your Vis is better so a 80-90cm would be a good general starter gun for most California Groundfish. You will need 110cm or larger for WSB, but it is not a good gun for low Vis, thick kelp, close up shots in rocks.

thanks!

i was thinking about getting a 90mm gun as i might be moving to florida in a year. i know the vis is better then it is out here!

about how far can you shoot a 90mm gun underwater? and what is "WSB?"

White seabass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some manufacturers may post distances that the spear will travel. The distance is dependent on things like shaft weight, how well the shaft and spearpoint move through the water, line, rubber slings, etc. The actual distance is usually less than what is listed.

A 6.5mm diameter shaft may be more accurate and travel farther than the same length 7mm shaft. But may not be enough mass for larger fish.

So a 90mm may shoot about 20' (+/- 3') accurately depending on how it is rigged.

awesome, thank you cmbrurch!

so WSB or any bigger fish and ill need a 110mm. ill start with the 90mm and go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom