Gunilda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any pictures of it. I would love to see her. I doubt if I will get to that depth in the next year or so.

Incredible pics. The boat is in good condition. It's so dark though. I will have to do alot of dives and courses before I can even think about it.

I have been part of about ten dives on Gunilda... the most recent series three years ago. I will be running an expedition to her again in September of 2004.

Some facts: Technically, one does not need permission to dive her from the government -- not since the Atlantic decision -- however, as a courtesy I have always written to the Gov of Ont with a manifest and dive plans... One does need a permit to conduct any archaeological work on any wreck -- yes, any wreck -- in Ontario waters. I must add that since the changing of the guard in the Ottawa office of the provincial Archaeologist, things may have changed so all this is provisional information.

Some details of the wreck site and the wreck itself.

The nearest town to the wreck site is Rossport… north shore of Lake Superior. There are no scuba shops nearby and the trickiest part of the dive planning is perhaps the logistics of getting everything to the dive site… historically, we have taken pre-mixed tanks… bottom mix and deco mixes. There are a couple of hotels, B&Bs and Campground/resorts in the area. Very few reliable captains or good charter vessels. The trip is an expensive one… average cost per minute on the wreck – according to one of my dive team – is about $50 Canadian. Of course the dive requires that all participants be experienced diving trimix in the great lakes, and planning logistically challenging dives.

The wreck sits at the bottom of a sheer rock wall that drops from about 6 feet to 260 feet. The water is cold and dark and even in high summer surface temperatures are seldom more than 12 degrees.

The vessel is in immaculate condition – I once wrote she looks as though you could turn the key and drive her up off the bottom… an exaggeration perhaps but nevertheless she is in perfect condition right down to the artefacts contained in staterooms, chart rooms, main salon and on the flying bridge.

My schedules for the dives I have done on her have varied from 20 minutes BT to 35 minutes BT…which meant spending about 130 minutes in water I believe. Gases have always been the same and are standard trimixes for that depth with three flavours of deco gas with deco gas deployment starting at 135 feet which is about 45 feet above the first call decompression stop on that long 35 minute bottom time!

What else… I too have video… it’s not as good as the stuff I have seen from Terry Irvine and Jeff Post but we hope to shoot HD stuff in 2004. That’s about it for now

Doppler

Steve, let me know when you start to finalise things (if you have space). Myself and a buddy might come up from LA, after all you can only dive in the sun so much right? The dates would have to be right but if it works it works.

Oh, and be grateful for the price of He up there!

Cheers
Wayne

I'd be interested in that trip as well, if there are spots available.

WBA once bubbled...
Steve, let me know when you start to finalise things (if you have space). Myself and a buddy might come up from LA, after all you can only dive in the sun so much right? The dates would have to be right but if it works it works.

Oh, and be grateful for the price of He up there!

Cheers
Wayne

Simple skill testing question to see if you are the Wayne I think you are... who's going to win the third test match and in which country is the world cup taking place?

Things are finalize Wayne... not sure about the second spot, as you know space is tight, but will have a better idea by end of november... hope that works for her or him. In any event, your spot is assured... as long as you are the right Wayne!

How's Kim?

Take Care

Don't get me started on the world cup. Kim is fine and all is well.

I'll give you a call later this week. I'm in Montreal today.

Cheers
Wayne

Some incredible history. It totally amazed me that a man would devote most of his life and finances to bring up one wreck. Yes I know that he could make it back but from the tape, it seems like his passion has become an obsession. I would love to dive her but realize that right now and for the next few years it will just be too deep for me.

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
Some incredible history. It totally amazed me that a man would devote most of his life and finances to bring up one wreck. Yes I know that he could make it back but from the tape, it seems like his passion has become an obsession. I would love to dive her but realize that right now and for the next few years it will just be too deep for me.

You know CB, there are so many little stories about Gunilda and the people who over the years have dove her that someday, someone will write a book and it'll read like fiction. The town of Rossport is actually worth a visit just to meet some of the local characters. Mostly they seem crazy... It's a fun spot. The archeologist in the Movie, Scott McWilliams, is a character too. Ask me about him sometime. He fronted our first trip to Gunilda. We were there about two years after the movie was shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom