Halcyon infinity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jay13

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hiya just new to the site and passed my advanced about a year ago and looking to go next for rescue i think....ok onto my question, ive researched wings the last few weeks and after looking at several styles ive decided on the Halcyon Infinity and will be using this both for the likes of the maldives and the redsea as it comes in at around 3kgs aluminium plate tho will probs have to buy the ss plate to drop weights from the belt and try and lose it altogether, what im basically asking what do you guys think of this system (i do know ive paid more and could have got a cheaper wing, tho i do like the look of this setup and ease of use) any tips for me guys...all comments welcome and took onboard

I like the infinity a lot. I have both stainless and aluminum plates. With aluminum and wearing a shorty or a 3mm, I typically need 4 pounds, so I've switched to using the stainless plate full time, no matter what wet/dry suit I'm wearing. The AL plate sits and gathers dust. Also, for when you are diving a thicker wetsuit or drysuit, the weighted STA (6 pounds) is really nice, so if you don't have one, you might want to get one. You made a good choice.

Thanks :) i could have got the SS plate instead tho thought for travel wise this would be lighter, bugger it will have to just get another plate then

Keep that AL plate. Should you decide to switch to steel doubles* in the future, you are going to want it alongside a doubles wing, etc. Gear purchases never really end...lol. :D

* Disclaimer, yes I realize that some dive SS plates with steel pending tank size and exposure protection (dry suit, heavy undies, etc). I was mainly saying...don't drop that AL plate!

Yeah keep the AL plate.

And when I travel with the SS plate, I put in my carryon, which usually isn't weight restricted, along with mask, computers, regulators and lights.

You will find that over time your BP/W set up will gain a number of wings and backplates. With that in mind, don't get rid of something just because you don't need it right now. I've made that mistake plenty of times in my diving career only to find myself repurchasing stuff I sold off.

If you are just going to do single tank vacation dives in hot water I'd look at the Traveller or Traveller PRO in stead. They have the lighter nylon plate, but a very nifty solution for attaching weights to the plate.

I have used the Traveller in both Egypt and the Maldives and I love it.

However... If you are inclined to go technical and might do doubles.. then go with the infinity and a steel/alu plate.

I have used the Traveller in both Egypt and the Maldives and I love it.
When I switched from a jacket BCD to a BP/W system, I got the Traveler Pro due to the integrated single tank adapter. I love it, too.

I dive exclusively rec, single tank. The system for attaching weights on the plate is pretty nifty if you have different types of tanks with different buoyancy characteristics. like I have. For travel, I just remove the plate weights and the weight pockets, and the low weight makes it very nice for warm water WS diving (and air travel).

IMO, the only downside is the premium you pay for the blue "H". And, of course, if you switch to doubles, you need to buy a new plate since it can't be used with doubles.

Hiya just new to the site and passed my advanced about a year ago and looking to go next for rescue i think....ok onto my question, ive researched wings the last few weeks and after looking at several styles ive decided on the Halcyon Infinity and will be using this both for the likes of the maldives and the redsea as it comes in at around 3kgs aluminium plate tho will probs have to buy the ss plate to drop weights from the belt and try and lose it altogether, what im basically asking what do you guys think of this system (i do know ive paid more and could have got a cheaper wing, tho i do like the look of this setup and ease of use) any tips for me guys...all comments welcome and took onboard

I've had a Halcyon Infinity now for about 18 months, got it on a great sale from my LDS. It is an excellent rig, you'll love it, and I've since added a Hollis aluminum plate for the flexibility in travel to warmer destinations. I would caution/advise that you make sure of what you getting with the Infinity "package" and decide whether you really need everything that comes with it. I bought the "all-dressed" Infinity package and it included things like the shoulder straps, the back pad, weighted STA and the Cinch system. I rarely use the shoulder straps, never use the back pad and have chucked the Cinch system in favor of the (to me) much, much better Agir Harpa system, which makes tightening up the waist MUCH easier than the Cinch. In fact, I found the Cinch almost unusable, and the Harpa loops have made a world of difference. I do use the ACB weight pockets when diving my drysuit, though not in a thin wetsuit, and the lack of flexibility in having the tank straps attached to the STA is not an issue for me, as I will never dive doubles. My Infinity also came with the weight that slots into the STA, which is a great way to hide a few pounds. It is a little tough to remove from the STA when I don't need the extra weight though (it's rubber coated and fits much too snug)

In my experience, you will definitely pay a premium for the blue H over "comparable" rigs, and if you are like me, some of what you get included with the Infinity may be a waste of money as it was with me. Look over all the inclusions and make sure you really need them. The stuff I got with my Infinity that I DON'T use adds up to a few hundred dollars, though obviously, YMMV

Best of luck and happy diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom