Halcyon Inflator Care to prevent sticking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
So at the end of yesterdays dive, my SS inflator stuck. Luckily at the surface and not at 80+ feet.

I know that they replaced a buch of the first gen SS inflators, but I purchased my Pioneer last October. After the dives I always ensure to rinse the wing, inside & out, but I guess that's not enough to prevent some rust. It has about 35 dives on it since I purchased it.

So my options are 1) Get exceedingly anal about rinsing and soaking the inflator
2) orally inflate the wing and leave the LP inflator hose disconnected or
3) purchase a plastic replacement

I'm leaning towards option 3 as it would seem to be the least hassle and safest.

If you have a Halcyon wing purchased recently I'm curious if you are having any inflator problems, or if not, how much rinsing / soaking you do post dive.

Thanks in advance

Bjorn

P.S.: It pays to have a good relationship with my LDS, they got the inflator cleaned, lubed & put back together while I waited :)

jeckyll:
So my options are 1) Get exceedingly anal about rinsing and soaking the inflator
2) orally inflate the wing and leave the LP inflator hose disconnected or
3) purchase a plastic replacement

I'm leaning towards option 3 as it would seem to be the least hassle and safest.

If you have a Halcyon wing purchased recently I'm curious if you are having any inflator problems, or if not, how much rinsing / soaking you do post dive.

I am very religious when it comes to rinsing and taking care/servicing of my equipment; I've been lucky with my ss inflator, no rust or malfunction so far (with over a hundred dives) - otoh, two of my friend have had problems with "post-recall" inflators, one with an almost brand new ss inflator (it is the version with the serial number and could be one of the new ones with "nickel-plated brass" components - I'll have to check).

I am getting an Eclipse 30 for my gf soon (with the "plastic" non-serviceable OEM power inflator) so will have a chance to compare it with my ss one.

If I were you I'd go with option 1 or 3...

yes, my eclipse had a problem with the stainless inflator autoinflating (sticking). Then I replaced it through a dealer on the mainland. By now, I had disconnected it quickly so many times, rather emergently, that the hose hub that plugs into the inflator was stripped and even though I had a new inflater, the connection leaked. So, I just received my new hose from Mo2vation and put it on....think I may finally be good to go.

I did see one guy get pinned on the ceiling of a cave, so get it squared away because it will probably be a reoccuring problem. There was a part recalled that has a seam line visible. There are images floating around demonstrating which infator you have. If your bc has the recalled part, you just remove it, send it in and they will replace it.

Just rigged a halcyon BP/W with Eclipse wing..dive shop had both the SS inflator and the OEM plastic..I went Plastic...I'll be in the pool for fit check in 5 hours cant wait.

Catherine: I had it at the shop the next day and they went through and serviced it. There was some rust inside it and they got it cleaned and lubed (I thought I'd mentioned that above :wink: )

For now I'll go and pay extra attention to soaking the inflator instead of just rinsing it...

If it happens again (I'll now be watching for it) the SS inflator is going the way of the dodo and I'm getting a nice, cheap, reliable-thought-not-as-pretty plastic one. :D

Personally I'd ditch the thing (or sell it on ebay).

Designing and manufacturing a reliable inflator is not rocket science. There is no kudos for perservering with a component with questionable reliability and an excessive maintenance requirement. Buy an ugly but reliable plastic replacement and dive without worrying about sticking.

Ive had no problems with the one on my Evolve , but will soon tear it apart and check it out .

The new inflators are reliable if serviced. They were designed to be serviced. If you don't want to service yours, sell it and buy a plastic one.

Back
Top Bottom