halcyon ques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soma

Reaction score
I've got about 40 or so recent dives, and I was thinking about getting a Halcyon pioneer bc. I like the bare bones, stripped down profile and the fact that it's easy to retrofit weight, bladders, etc. Can anyone help me out with an opinion?

I don't mean to be rude, but have you tried searching?

Diving a backplate and wing is wonderful...

Try before you buy as much as you can. I have a 27# Pioneer which is fine for my warmer water dives.

The main options with the backplate are Stainless (~6# negative) or Aluminum (~2# negative). Unless you are incredibly short (under 5'2") or tall (6'6") a standard backplate should be fine. There are some specialty plates out there by FredT and Scott Koplin.

The wing is also important. There are many to choose from. Halcyon, Oxycheq, Dive Rite etc. For singles the donut style wing works best IMO.

Best of luck.

PS - Then you can look into a DIR-F course :wink:

Sounds fine. I personally found that a bagged wing (with a protective shell) was better for my type of diving, which involves wrecks. If you think you might do that in the near future, you might consider a wing with a shell, such as the Eclipse, or the Oxycheq Signature Series, or the Deep Sea Supply wings.

No, I don't think you are rude at all. You pointed out a right thing in my viewpoint.

cornfed:
I don't mean to be rude, but have you tried searching?

soma:
Can anyone help me out with an opinion?

You may have a hard time getting someone from this Forum to give an opinion about a backplate and wing configuration :1poke:

Thanks for the response guys. I've got a buddy who owns the pioneer, so I will probably give his a run before I take the plunge.

soma:
Thanks for the response guys. I've got a buddy who owns the pioneer, so I will probably give his a run before I take the plunge.

But unless said friend if your same size, you may need to adjust it. They're quick to adjust and you should get it to fit in no time.

Let us know what you think.

---
Ken

Recently switched from a back inflate "tec" bc to the Halcyon Pioneer 36 and really like it. I went with an alum bp since we travel quite a bit but added a 6lb STA. I also went with weight pockets since I hate weight belts. Since I dive in a drysuit or at minimum 3mm full I find it very comfortable. If you were to only dive it bare skin it might rub some.

i have been using a halcypon in all my dives from start to current. got 30 dives under my belt 0-15 were with the pioneer and 15-30 my current eclipse. never been happier:) give it a try you wont be sorry and im glad i purchased a bp/w as my first. mixed opinions though so do your homework and research. good luck

Back
Top Bottom