Halcyon & Santi's policy: we perform drysuit repairs "even without prior approval"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santi sent me a suit with an attached hood. Neither me or the manager of Extreme Exposure (where I ordered the suit) even knew that was an option. I tried to put it on and wow, it was a super tight hood. So back to Santi it went, but the replacement is fine (but yeah, it did take some time...). So it doesn't just happen to you.

With the last dry suit the pockets were falling off because the Bare factory decided latex glue was what you should secure them with. You know that latex seals are supposed to be removable, right? So it went back, and they used MORE latex glue... But at least, unlike the 3 people who ordered custom Bare suits at the same time, mine didn't leak.

To quote Steve Gamble "all dry suits suck". And I eventually paid him several hundred bucks to fix the pockets and stupid exhaust valve location on the Bare suit.

Reactions: mdb
I tried to put it on and wow, it was a super tight hood.
When I got my Santi hood, it was unwearably tight. It nearly dislocated my jaw to put it on. I sent it back, and they sent me another one--same size. It was fine.

Last edited:
Based on this thread, plus some comments I heard at an LDS about the company, I think I'm going to go with another brand.

When I order a custom anything, I expect it to be what I ordered. Having the wrong-sized pockets installed, having the zipper in the opposite direction where it was not requested, and having an attached hood where it was not requested, are all major errors. Strike 1.

Giving me lame excuses as to why those errors were made. Strike 2.

Refusing to fix the problem in a reasonable timeframe or making me pay for their mistake. Strike 3.

Guys, am I just being picky or have we as divers completely lowered our expectations about what constitutes a good business? Perhaps as a newbie, I am not aware of this lower standard for divers? :shakehead:

Last edited:
Guys, am I just being picky or have we as divers completely lowered our expectations about what constitutes a good business? Perhaps as a newbie, I am not aware of this lower standard for divers? :shakehead:
There is a good deal of that, especially in small dive communities. We have entire threads about that topic all over Scubaboard...

I spoke to Mark Messersmith this morning. TL;DR: He was apologetic, said that they will review their policies and will remove all the charges.

He stated that he wasn't aware of the full story behind the zipper charges and boots until he read my posts online. I mentioned that the entire story was in the email chain but he was told that the charges were agreed upon before I paid my bill.

He said that there are times where urgent turnaround is needed and Halcyon empowers its employees to make decisions as necessary. However, he made it clear that this does not include expensive replacements and he understands that the urgent timing wasn't an issue in this case.

At the end of the conversation, he said that he is willing to cover the entire bill even though I restated that I was ok with covering the boot charge as I authorized it. He said that since the guys miscommunicated the warranty policy, he wants to make it right especially after the issues I had to deal with.

He said that he will be speaking to people internally at Halcyon and Extreme Exposure to review their policies. I appreciate Mark's assistance on this matter. While this conversation didn't cover all the issues that have been raised in this thread, I think that this is an appropriate resolution for the original post.

I spoke to Mark Messersmith this morning. TL;DR: He was apologetic, said that they will review their policies and will remove all the charges.

He stated that he wasn't aware of the full story behind the zipper charges and boots until he read my posts online. I mentioned that the entire story was in the email chain but he was told that the charges were agreed upon before I paid my bill.

He said that there are times where urgent turnaround is needed and Halcyon empowers its employees to make decisions as necessary. However, he made it clear that this does not include expensive replacements and he understands that the urgent timing wasn't an issue in this case.

At the end of the conversation, he said that he is willing to cover the entire bill even though I restated that I was ok with covering the boot charge as I authorized it. He said that since the guys miscommunicated the warranty policy, he wants to make it right especially after the issues I had to deal with.

He said that he will be speaking to people internally at Halcyon and Extreme Exposure to review their policies. I appreciate Mark's assistance on this matter. While this conversation didn't cover all the issues that have been raised in this thread, I think that this is an appropriate resolution for the original post.

Good resolution; also good that you posted the positive outcome. Halycon has a reputation for high quality products. The fact that Mark personally communicated with you directly is a good sign that fine service and well made products prevail.

That sounds a lot more like Mark when I had the chance to talk to him. Strange story still.
I'd suggest linking that post in the opening post, just so people looking for the outcome can find it without looking through x pages of the thread. (as jumping to the end may or may not show the outcome in some time as other people might post)

That sounds a lot more like Mark when I had the chance to talk to him. Strange story still.
I'd suggest linking that post in the opening post, just so people looking for the outcome can find it without looking through x pages of the thread. (as jumping to the end may or may not show the outcome in some time as other people might post)

I just tried but there is a time limit ("1440 minutes") to edit posts so that is not possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom