Halcyon Scout, Photon Torpedo and Santa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
The Peli lights are not DIR, the bulb overvoltage is a bad idea. The Photons (which are made by a friend of mine) are overkill build quality wise. That is both a compliment and a complaint since it results in the lights being unnecessarily larger. The biggest reason for the photons poplularity is probably that they don't have an H on them so those with a chip on their shoulder can say they took their business elsewhere. (Once again, no problem with that, Chuck is doing quite well tapping that market.)

The biggest mistake made is these are all backup lights. Not primary lights. The requirements for backups are different.

I've used one of my PTs as a 'primary' light in benign night dives in open water, and was quite happy with the performance. I had the other as a backup. :wink:

You should suggest to Chuck to make a 'cap piece' for his light body containing a ballast and an HID bulb, which someone can buy as an add-on. I'd sure like one, as it would give me a simple one-piece HID light. :D

piikki:
Thanks for your post Todd. I am not sure I understood the last bit entirely. I am looking for back ups - are you crititical about Torpedos as a back ups or did you just mean people tend to resort to these as primaries which is not correct?

They compare the light output of poorly made lights with overvolted bulbs and say those are better than the scout style lights. This is a huge mistake. If you want one an overvolted light for a carribean night dive light that is fine, but it is not a DIR light. For a true primary a cannister is the only way to go (and used halogen ones are cheap these days for the nickel rockets).

RTodd:
They compare the light output of poorly made lights with overvolted bulbs and say those are better than the scout style lights. This is a huge mistake. If you want one an overvolted light for a carribean night dive light that is fine, but it is not a DIR light. For a true primary a cannister is the only way to go (and used halogen ones are cheap these days for the nickel rockets).

I agree with this. At the time I did it, my HID was 'in the shop'. I've got it back now, so I can fry fish all over again. Actually it's only a 10W, it just warms them a bit. :wink:

diverryan:
Anyone ever use these?
Yes. POS. Flooded everytime I tried them.

does anyone know the burn time for original photon torpedo and also its LED version?

Thanks

The creator of the PT LED said that his original version lasted something like 136 hours on one set of batteries before he had to change them out to take some example photos. At the end he said he could "still read a newspaper off it" so 136 hours doesn't necessarily mean it was at it's brightest the entire time.

SparticleBrane:
The creator of the PT LED said that his original version lasted something like 136 hours on one set of batteries before he had to change them out to take some example photos. At the end he said he could "still read a newspaper off it" so 136 hours doesn't necessarily mean it was at it's brightest the entire time.

No way.... 136 hrs is even longer than the current LED....:confused:
Anyone who has a PT can comment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom