Halcyon SMB problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxdeco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Halcyon 3 1/2 foot/ 1 meter long orange SMB with problems. Its on the new side, the third of this model I have owned and I need some help getting it into proper working order.

It will not hold air, constantly leaking small amounts through the combo oral/LP hose inflator male connector. I have tried to soak the entire device in warm water inside and out, in water with half water and half Household vinegar on the inside, pouring water through hose and funnel into the SMB via the inflator and nothing seems to solve the problem. If I cannot fix it this will be my last Halcyon SMB.

Maxdeco

I've never heard of that adapter leaking. Have you contacted Halcyon? I own three of these, and used to have another one, and they've gummed up on occasion, but they have never leaked.

If you can stop the leak by applying a small amount of vacuum pressure (sucking) on the inflator, then the inflator is in need of service. A new valve needs to be installed in the inflator.

I took the Halcyon SMB inb question into Anywater Sports in San Jose, a Halcyon Dealer (and the best damn dive center I know of with the friendliest employees and owners plus they pump ALL the gases a diver might ever want). They tried everything, hot water into the male inflator fitting followed by high pressure air, soaked the inflator device in a ultrasonic chemical bath, you name it. The thing is toast - unrepairable and the inflator mech has been back ordered. Let's see if I can get it in working order before my next serious dive.

Hi Max,

Let me take a guess. The leakage is through the oral inflator, not from the welding portion. If that's the case then the one-way valve isn't doing its job. That's why no amount of cleaning or ultrasonic will solve it.

There is a repair kit for this problem and if a dive store has it, it is a 20 minute job.

Good luck
Henry

Did you ever get this fixed? or narrow it to the problem? How long have you had the smb? is your OPV spring good? did you ever check to see if it was part of a 2010 recall? Product Recall: OPV Spring | Halcyon

I have a Halcyon 3 1/2 foot/ 1 meter long orange SMB with problems. Its on the new side, the third of this model I have owned and I need some help getting it into proper working order.

It will not hold air, constantly leaking small amounts through the combo oral/LP hose inflator male connector. I have tried to soak the entire device in warm water inside and out, in water with half water and half Household vinegar on the inside, pouring water through hose and funnel into the SMB via the inflator and nothing seems to solve the problem. If I cannot fix it this will be my last Halcyon SMB.

Maxdeco

Did you ever get this fixed? or narrow it to the problem? How long have you had the smb? is your OPV spring good? did you ever check to see if it was part of a 2010 recall? Product Recall: OPV Spring | Halcyon

I took it to my my (very) friendly LDS and they most obligingly ordered a replacement inflator mechanism from Halcyon after ascertaining that it was unrepairable. Works great now. The OPV spring is good...so far...
Max

I have a similar problem. I have a SC DAM 3.8FT. With only an exhaust valve. It can be filled with air only from the bottom. It has a duck beek ( this is a literal translation fro french, i hope it means something in English) that is supposed to trap air inside de smb. It is only. 11 months old and has never been able to hold air at the surface. This was not the case with smaller and cheaper ones. I am very dissapointed. Any hint about a possible solution? Thanks.

The one you have is different from the CC versions being discussed above, which were leaking from a one-way inflator assembly your duckbill/open bottom SC marker doesn't have. Where is yours leaking from?

Back
Top Bottom