Half-Turn to close the tank - why???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Please, Mister DM, don't touch my valve...

You say please??? - jk

I'm a full open valve kind of guy myself. Touch my valve and you're asking for a cpl broken fingers. The way I see it, there's only one way to open and one way to close a valve, if it's partially open, then that's time lost turning it one way, just to turn it back the other. Some half baked warm water weekend warrior DM gets stupid and turns it to off an back open a 1/4 turn would be seriously asking for a beating.

its so when you have contact with an overhead, particularly while scootering, you want to make sure that your valve has play in it, so that it doesn't break off or stick on...

heh...

i had a "helpful full off plus 1/4 turn on" issue early in my dive career that made me a big believer in full-on or full-off for awhile. now i don't really care. important point is that i know the symptoms of a partially-on valve and know how to fix it.

for recreational OW diving, i really think the biggest issue is the partially-on valve, and that OW students, DMs, etc should be taught full-on or full-off. the "1/4 turn back" thing is optimizing for minutae, while if you get it backwards it can be potentially deadly. if i check someone else's valves i always 1. ask and 2. turn full-on (while not gorilla'ing it tight). that way if i'm on crack that day and mess up, they find out quick when they try to breathe off a reg or inflate their BCD...

I understand and realize the need/desire for buddy checks, but I just cannot imagine someone...ANYone messing with my tank after I've set up my gear and am ready to dive. Mess with my BCD, loop my hoses and valves so I can reach them better, but PLEASE don't touch my air.

Buddy check with hubby regarding air goes like this: "Is your air on? Check it again to be sure!"

Maybe some of you think it's a waste of air, therefore bottom time, but I always test both mouthpieces and my BC inflator by running air through them, and checking the pressure gauge. Then again, maybe I am just a paranoid newbie.

BTW, we also learned the quarter turn back method.

Giggi:
Maybe some of you think it's a waste of air, therefore bottom time, but I always test both mouthpieces and my BC inflator by running air through them, and checking the pressure gauge. Then again, maybe I am just a paranoid newbie.

Gig, with 3k+ dives, I run a last-second operating check on every piece of equipment. If you don't, you're just askin for trouble. Kudos to you :O]

We had a 13 year old girl in class last year that didn't do the 1/4 turn back. After her dive she couldn't turn it off. I tried and failed. I grabbed someone bigger than me and they turned bright red trying. They finally got it but not without some work. We teased her all weekend about being so strong. :)

Joe

Giggi:

That isn't sufficient to catch a tank that is only turned on 1/4 turn. You can catch the issue if you breathe on a reg while watching the SPG to see if it drops, but at the surface it will otherwise appear like your gas is on all the way. IMO, being able to reach your valves is a crucial skill.

Hi guys,

Interesting answers and many good ones. When tech diving my valves are on full and I teach that, there's no doubt when doing a shut down which way to turn and it saves time and gas.

In recreational I do the 1/4 turn back and teach that. The reason. Stuck valves is one, but I've seen another one. If an o'ring goes or the Hp hose at the first stage, the valve can freeze and you can't turn it off, the 1/4 back allows you to wiggle it breaking the ice on the thread.

I have also seen someone turn a fully open tank off because they can't remember which way it turns and as it was full on, they thought it was off. I have seen many divers (and even instructors) who don't know which way a valve turns. Scary!!!

It just isn't healthy for the valve seats, and its good practice for just about any valve you have in your house, especially exterior water faucets. I can't think of any valve design on a SCUBA tank that a quarter turn back will have any effect on air delivery, even at depth or with a diver under exertion. Turning the valve a partial turn from full open also prevents it from being frozen open etc. as was mentioned earlier. Notice most valve handles have a spring built into the knob, this is to help protect Gorilla Grip Man from damaging the seats while opening up the valve.

I read some rather decent reasons for the 1/4 to 1/2 turn on this post. I'm an instructor, and recently got reprimanded by a DM in Cozumel for going back and checking my own air and making the 1/2 turn, after she completely forgot to turn my air on the previous dive. She said she would handle it, and that they always turned it back 1/2 turn. To make a long story short, I'm responsible for my own safety when diving, therefore, I will always check my own air and gear, no matter what anyone else says.

I had a dive buddy once who had just gotten certified that turned my air off, and then back on 1/2 turn while I was in a hurry working on something else, and didn't notice the hand that was on my valve knob. While at 63 ft. with about 700 psi, I noticed my SPG needle was fluctuating up and down with each breath. My training taught me that it was probably due to my valve not being opened far enough, so I didn't worry much about it, but terminated the dive anyway. I was impressed at how well my balanced reg set performed for an entire dive (until 700 psi) with such a small portion of the valve being opened!

Besides many of the reasons for turning the valve knob back 1/4 to 1/2 turn already mentioned, three of the main reasons I was taught years ago are:

1. If there is play in the valve, someone checking your valve should be able to tell very quickly that your air is turned on, without having to turn it back and forth several turns.

2. If there is play in the valve and you strike it on something hard while diving, or on a boat (i.e., overhead obstacle, bumping in to someone else's tank or side of the boat, etc.), then you may avoid damaging your valve, jamming it in the open position, or rendering it useless and dangerous. If it becomes severely damaged, then who knows if it might drain your tank dry in a hurry.

3. While under pressure, valves do strange and unpredictable things, like jamming open. The small turn back may not be necessary, but "an ounce of prevention," well, you know the story.

In the Open Water manual from the agency I teach for, it states to turn the valve all the way open, so that's how I teach my students in the classroom to conform to standards. However, I do mention the other options when gearing up for real-world diving so students can decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with. After all, it is their safety on the line in the long run.

After weighing the pros and cons, I have decided to stick with my old training habit of turning the valve knob back 1/4 to 1/2 turn...just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom