Hammerhead Backplate - Built-in-Handles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking at the Hammerhead backplates and have a concern about the built in handles. I believe this could possibly be a puncture point, especially for a drysuit. Can someone comment about this? Are the finger grooves not as sharp as they look on their website?

Thanks

Daryl

You can also request to have the plate without the handles.

-Don

I borrowed one of these plates last year, the first BP/W I ever tested. One thing I noticed about the "handles" is that they aren't useful with a tank attached. Even though it was well deburred, picking up a full rig will definitely cut into your hands. IMO, they are a solution looking for a problem, order the plate without handles and pick up the rig from the harness.

StSomewhere:
I borrowed one of these plates last year, the first BP/W I ever tested. One thing I noticed about the "handles" is that they aren't useful with a tank attached. Even though it was well deburred, picking up a full rig will definitely cut into your hands. IMO, they are a solution looking for a problem, order the plate without handles and pick up the rig from the harness.
Yea, I always wondered what the useful purpose of them was. Now I know... there isn't one :)

I guess if you are going to carry your gear somewhere and need to grab it by the... never mind... I was reaching. :)

Chris

I, too, always wondered what the purpose of the handles are.
I started to incorporate them into the B/P's that I make, but then I thought about it for a moment and thought, hey, it's easier to carry it by the harness.

the K

I always thought they were more of an icon in the plates (hammerhead) than a handle, kind of like how zeagle has their "Z" logo cut into their plates.

I agree though, not much use as a handle, unless you're carrying the plate tank-less.

You're probably right. Guess they didn't want to put an "H" in them. :D

It would have been better to cut a shark fin or a hammerhead on the plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom