Hammerhead Sharks with Emerald Charters in Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went out on Saturday July 27, 2013 with Randy Jordan on the Emerald. It was AMAZING! First dive was out on the deep ledge, we had a Great Hammerhead come and check us out, it had two fishing lures hanging off of it, and Randy was able to rip one of them off. We also saw two scalloped hammerheads that seemed shy, they did not come up close for a look. We also saw bull sharks, sandbar sharks, silky sharks, and dusky sharks. Second dive we hit the wreck trek where we saw 20 or 30 Goliath Grouper and an eagle ray. Third dive we hit Capt Curls reef and got some footage of a shy lemon shark, a small reef shark, and another eagle ray. What an amazing day of diving, we saw 8 different species of sharks all in one day. All of this is here for you to come see in Jupiter, FL. All footage shot by myself, Mickey Smith and my friend Cameron Nimmo. Shot on GoPro 1 and 2 (3 flooded a month ago). Thanks for watching, make sure to watch in HD. Feel free to like, comment, share, or subscribe. Thank you.

Hammerhead Sharks with Emerald Charters - YouTube

[video=youtube;leZ1OE6YkRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZ1OE6YkRs[/video]

Nice video! I need to get on one of these 3 tank trips.

I've seen multiple videos from Emerald charters..really makes me want to book a trip with them. I should probably get more dives and nitrox certified before doing that though (according to their site). Looks like you had a great trip though, nice video.

Nice! I saw my first hammerhead on The Elbow last week in 35' of water. Are they becoming more numerous in the Keys?

You lucky devils. I've done 225 dives over 15 years and never seen a hammerhead. I figured I'd have to go to the Galapagos for that. I've come across whale sharks twice, which I suppose is lucky.

Nice video! I need to get on one of these 3 tank trips.

Thanks Sean. Three tank trips are fun, if vis is good we usually do deep ledge, wreck or another blue water dive, then a reef dive. That way you get to see a little bit of everything. You can book the Emerald through Scuba Works as well.

I've seen multiple videos from Emerald charters..really makes me want to book a trip with them. I should probably get more dives and nitrox certified before doing that though (according to their site). Looks like you had a great trip though, nice video.

I would recommend taking advance open water cert before going out with the Emerald. I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but Randy screens his divers and if he doesn't think you are ready he will let you know that.

Ridiculously gorgeous !!!

Yes it was, we finally got blessed with calm super flat seas and lots of sun. And it paid off in a big way!

Nice! I saw my first hammerhead on The Elbow last week in 35' of water. Are they becoming more numerous in the Keys?

I go to the keys every summer (lower matacumbe) and that is where I saw my first hammerhead about five years ago. Since then I've seen two others in the keys, they were not very large. I live in Jupiter, FL and we are hearing reports of people seeing them almost every weekend. I've seen a few in Jupiter, maybe 5 to 7 of them and this was the first one that got close to us. I think Jupiter has the potential to become one of, if not the best, shark diving spot in Florida.

You lucky devils. I've done 225 dives over 15 years and never seen a hammerhead. I figured I'd have to go to the Galapagos for that. I've come across whale sharks twice, which I suppose is lucky.

When we got on the boat I think all the divers realized how lucky we were and that we may never have an encounter like that again, except for on Randy's boat haha. You never know what you are going to see in Jupiter, FL. A couple weeks ago divers played with a manta ray for about 30 minutes, we've also seen whale sharks in Jupiter although I was not there, I'd love to swim with a couple whale sharks.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, hope to see you out on the water soon!

Love the video! We'll be diving with Emerald Charters next week....can't wait! What depth were you at on the shark dive? Water temp? Was the wreck dive on the same dive as the shark dive?

They saw one today at Molasses I heard. IDC also reported a school of 50 bonnethead sharks about a week ago. We are seeing sharks almost every dive on Molasses. There is no feeding there so the experience will be different

Love the video! We'll be diving with Emerald Charters next week....can't wait! What depth were you at on the shark dive? Water temp? Was the wreck dive on the same dive as the shark dive?

The first dive is the deep ledge which is about 120 feet on the bottom. Nobody goes to the bottom though, most divers go down to about 80 or 90 feet and then we start to slowly ascend. I'd say we were at 80 feet for 10 minutes or so, rest of the dive is spent at 40 feet. The second dive we did the wrecks which are 90 feet if you go down in the sand. The third dive was a reef which is 65-80 feet.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom