Hammerheads in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to Indonesia (Raja Ampat and Sulawesi) in December-January and one of my dive dreams is to dive with a school of hammerheads.

If you've ever seen schools of hammerheads in Indonesia, where was it?
What about whale sharks?

Would PNG be a better place for hammerheads or whale sharks?

I've heard of hammerhead sightings in Komodo. I've personally seen hammerheads at Layang Layang, but you can't go there in December/January since it's out of season then.

The most reliable/accessible place to see Hammerheads in Indonesia is in South Lombok, but the best season is Sept - Oct. The few operators that run trips there call it of limits in Jan - March.

I've seen Hammerheads in several very remote locations across the greater Banda Sea where liveaboards only get to once or twice a year. Usual time is again Sept - Nov. Now many of the boats are up in Raja, especially for the busy season of Xmas - NY.

Whale sharks are "guaranteed" in Cenderawasih Bay all year. Liveaboards run trips there to and from Raja Ampat, so you get to dive around Kri Island in Raja, and see the whale sharks near Manokwari all in one trip.

Try a chinese restaurant... :(

:D:D:D

AS Captain Cook said. Yes Lombok south for sure,generally have to go 40m + and spend a few days there,due to conditions.indeed September/October good time.

Whalesharks all year round in Cenderawasih Bay staying on Ahe Island and some liveaboard as mentioned in the north but usually they are planned in summer months

The most reliable/accessible place to see Hammerheads in Indonesia is in South Lombok, but the best season is Sept - Oct.
Now that you mention it, yes, I was on Lembongan last August, and somebody invited me for an overnight trip to dive with the hammerheads near Lombok, but it would have meant diving on my no-fly day, so I couldn't go. I guess I conveniently forgot about that due to my disappointment! Thanks for the reminder!

I believe the site in south lombok is called "the cathedral".
It's not always "open" When I was there it was too rough

I want to see hammerheads as well so badly

I believe the site in south lombok is called "the cathedral".
It's not always "open" When I was there it was too rough

I want to see hammerheads as well so badly
Green Island in Taiwan during winter especially during new and full moon.

The site in south lombok is called the magnet. u dont see hammerheads all the time, but there will be big stuff around. the dive site is only for experienced divers, cuz of the swell and currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom