Hanauma Bay closed due to jellyfish??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba and Dream:
Yeah what catherine said...by the way I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night.
ROFL!

I think I've caught a stray tentacle now and then... they sting, but it's not mind-numbing pain.

I've only seen one in its entirety, in the water, with 6" tentacles. I swam around it, and made sure my dive buddies saw it, too. :D

none at lanai lookout and halona blowhole this afternoon..
'tho i did wear my hood.. just in case :D

'surgey, but a couple good dives today..
saw a pack of 3 giant milkfish.. 4-5 ft long.. (at first i thought they were sharks)

This was at Mokapu (Ulua), Maui, last summer. There are two bjf in this photo but one is in the reflection of the diver.

P1010004.jpg

larger version here.

No problem as long as you stay on the bottom.

Ok... maybe the one I saw wasn't a box. It had a much smaller bell, and was in ~15' at the end of 1st reef at Ulua.

How often do you see jellies on Maui? These things just scare me. Since I'll likely be diving Ulua I'm hoping I don't encounter any..

adjuster-jd:
How often do you see jellies on Maui? These things just scare me. Since I'll likely be diving Ulua I'm hoping I don't encounter any..
In ~150+ dives at Ulua, I've seen one.

Occasionally, I see things that look like just their tentacles during night dives, and once in a while, I'll come up from a dive feeling as though a really weak bee stung me in the mouth area (it's a guess that it's a stray jelly tentacle).

I'm sure halemano can give a better stat than that -- he's logged a lot more dives there than I have, I think.

nice pics guys.

Thanks Catherine. In a year and a half of 5 days a week Ulua (~), 3 days seeing bjf. As jimbo stated, 8-9 days after full moon, when there are south to southwesterlies (sometimes even mild variables). Saw them washed up on the beach the next day from my photo and then another time washed up on beach. Since I've been here Renaissance guests have been stung 5ish times to my knowledge (seperate cycles).

I have also seen man of war tentacles in similar surface condition (south westerlies), both washed up on shore and near the surface above the inner wall (consecutive days). There have been a similar number of guest events with mow. Both my student and I were stung the inner wall time, she will never go to the surface to clear her mask again! The next day in her new full wet suit (drove all the way to lahaina to find it [xxs]), she walked around the tentacles on the beach to complete her OW cert.

jd, if a 13 yo girl can suck it up, you can too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom