Hand held sonar device anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just what info are you hoping for? I suppose that there's potential utility for locating stuff where the viz is limited, such as finding a wreck or some other site once you've descended. Overall I'm not seeing a lot of use for such a device.

I thought it would be something to try out when I go out to the kelp beds in CA and I want seek out some of the bigger fish like taupe sharks, seven gill sharks, or the giant black Sea Bass. It could save you some air time when I'm looking for something like bigger fish. I just think it would be interesting if indeed it had the capability to display an image of fish or other objects it is detecting.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

Mike Nelson had one back in the day.

I just watched that whole episode, that was great! Its funny how a series like that was so entertaining yet it gave viewers the sense of adventure in Scuba Diving.

Thanks for sharing that!

I have one that looks like a hair dryer. it works well, bot not well when aiming at another diver. perhaps it is the wet suit that does it . Being an ex submarine sonarman I know its a sound volosity issue that causes the echo ability. so that the bubbles in the wet suit should provide a good reflector or return signal. Not to mention the lungs. As a depth sounder or measurement decvice for distance to ta wall it works great. for mapping a bottom its OK also. It doesn't use much power 9VDC battery.

Back
Top Bottom