Has anyone purchased a Nautilus Lifeline lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiverColorado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, wife and I are looking at getting some sort of PLB type device, and specifically looking at the Nautilus Lifeline. The price is right, no subscription, no separate case, etc

Our pause is the reviews, which make it sound like there is a real issue with quality control. Lots of complaints about them flooding, not working, etc, and they are really not inexpensive if they flood after 6 dives. Could be that they may have had an issue for a period of time though, and got their act together, so I thought I would ask..

Has anyone bought one of these recently and had a good or bad experience they would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Hello, wife and I are looking at getting some sort of PLB type device, and specifically looking at the Nautilus Lifeline. The price is right, no subscription, no separate case, etc

Our pause is the reviews, which make it sound like there is a real issue with quality control. Lots of complaints about them flooding, not working, etc, and they are really not inexpensive if they flood after 6 dives. Could be that they may have had an issue for a period of time though, and got their act together, so I thought I would ask..

Has anyone bought one of these recently and had a good or bad experience they would be willing to share?

Thanks!
It is not a PLB. It does not talk to satellites. It talks only to nearby (a few miles) ships and perhaps ground stations. They work fine, for what they are. But is it really what you are looking for or need?

We just happened to order one from Dive Gear Express yesterday but this really doesn’t help you much. We have used them twice as loaners on Nautilus liveaboard trips. On the two trips we were unaware of any leaks.

We also plan to purchase an actual PLB sometime next year.

It is not a PLB. It does not talk to satellites. It talks only to nearby (a few miles) ships and perhaps ground stations. They work fine, for what they are. But is it really what you are looking for or need?

Yeah, its not ideal, but it is some protection.. Doing a lot of hemming an hawing about my options here to be honest.

Also thinking about a Garmin Inreach, which isn't perfect, but we can take that hiking. Cons there are that it also isn't a PLB, and it has more added expense, but, it does come with a compact shell, and does chat with satellites.

Sort of wish the real PLBs (ACR and whatnot) came with a compact waterproof covering..

If you are in an area with busy commercial shipping and/or USCG monitoring, the AIS beacon will definitely get noticed. If you are overseas with less traffic, YMMV, but it should get noticed by someone. Not a PLB certainly but better than an SMB and a prayer IMO.

If you are on a liveaboard, you can program it with the DCS code for the VHF radio and send a boat-specific signal.

As for reliability, I've had one since they launched. It has flooded from the get-go. Using a loaner unit on a LOB prompted me to send mine back to Nautilus and they found that one of the screws had been overtightened and caused a micro crack in the case (operator error no doubt). They are replacing the case at no charge even though it's long out of warranty.

As Tursiops most accurately points out, it's absolutely critical for folks to understand that the new Nautilus Lifelines are NOT a PLB and do NOT communicate location coordinates to anyone via satellite. What the newer Nautilus Lifeline does do is broadcast your GPS position via a radio signal to all AIS equipped ships up to 34 miles (55 km) away as well as a DSC message to the designated marine radio on your own vessel. All modern commercial ships and most private boats are equipped with AIS and DSC. The statement "up to 34 miles" range should be taken with a grain of salt. That means perfect flat dead calm conditions communicating with vessels with the highest elevated antennas. My personal opinion is that 5 miles is a more realistic statement and expectation.

I have the older Lifeline that does all of the above...... plus it has the integrated Marine VHF radio that allows actual voice communication to my own boat and other boats within range, Coast Guard, etc....that are monitoring channel 16. For diving here in the PAC NW and mostly off of my own boat, the older Nautilus with VHF is a great option...... and I have never had any issues with flooding or function. There is an issue with British Columbia having licensing issues for any Marine VFH operations but I don't really care about that or worry about it. If I am in an emergency rescue scenario and the BC radio police want to come and arrest me for unauthorized Marine VHF radio use.........I'll be happy to see them!

I do also have a Global EPIRB on my boat that communicates via satellite and will basically send the Calvary anywhere in the world once activated ....but that's a whole nuther discussion and the unit is too large to practically carry on a dive and although waterproof with floatation, it is not designed to take diving pressures.

If you really want to have the absolute and best all all-around emergency location device then I'd say to go with an ACR PLB and contain it within an XL Dryfob which is sold by one of our great sponsors here on SB........ or other means of water and pressure proofing. Just my .02.

Here's pics of my "older model" Lifeline with VHS and also my primary EPIRB. Also a pic of my Large Dryfob that I use for my truck FOB and my XL Dryfob that accommodates an ACR PLB.

khMN15G.jpg

Gpu3Pbg.jpg

DawvokH.jpg

EAtob2Q.jpg

LIQOcRz.jpg

ut448dm.jpg

I bought one years ago. Everyone in my family has one. After I bought all those, I became a dealer and I've sold another 6.. no complaints from customers thus far

Back
Top Bottom