Hands off the marine creatures. Just a small rant.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...
Not from KY, just can't spell.

Kind of opens your eyes to "typo's" doesn't it. They do exist and the world isn't perfect.

Walter once bubbled...
Why would I need to "open my eyes" to something of which I'm already aware?

Because of your first smart comment about my spelling.

OCTOPI OCTOPI

You two stop your bickering this instant! Do I have to pull this thread over and make you walk home?

WJL once bubbled...
You two stop your bickering this instant! Do I have to pull this thread over and make you walk home?

Noooooo, I'll stooop...

Walter once bubbled...
Yours wasn't spelling, it was the wrong word.

You know what. I'm very sorry to confuse you crosseyed with here instead of hear or whatever the heck it was. Please get over it and do a little more reading talking to people about OCTOPI.

Don't forget "octopodes." This is by far the rarest plural used. Some of us science folks use it however.

I generally follow the "do not touch" philosophy with marine life. However, as an underwater videographer and research scientist, I find there are times when I "have" to touch an organism to establish a better shooting angle or induce some natural behavior. I am respectful of the organism and try not to irritate it more than I have to. I have found if I first slowly approach it, give it time to acclimate tyo my presence and benign intent, I can often touch an animal without creating a fear reaction.

This was especially true with a giant kelpfish male defending his nest. On my first visit I moved in too fast and he "attacked" and bit me. Subsequent visits I slowly moved in and hovered to show I meant no harm. By the third visit he swam out to me and let me caress him in my hand. Got some fairly good footage when two cute "babes" visited his nest to mate.

Whacking a balloonfish on the head? Yikes. I had my first opportyunity to film one fully inflated last week in the Sea of Cortez. I didn't have to touch it at all... it was scared by my sudden appearance around a rock. Actually I think an animal had just tried to attack it when I happened on it.

As for touching an octopus in soCal, when I finally got certified in the late 60's I was told a story about a diver who put one down the back of his wetsuit. It apparently bit through the spinal cord and killed him.

Dr. Bill

Buy or rent the "Wonders of the Deep" DVD video series.

You'll choke at some of the **** you'll see in there. Everything from Wolf Eel coddling up to flat out Moray molestation. The one chick can't keep her hands off ANYTHING. She reminds me of the dentist's daughter in Finding Nemo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom