Hard shell suitcase for flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any tips for suitcase brands?
Depends what you want? Travel a lot? Buy once? Try Briggs and Riley? High End Business & Travel Luggage Sets

We used to go through 1 or 2 elcheapo bags a year (we travel a LOT). Then we found this manufacturer. Have not bought a replacement bag since.

But not cheap. Actually, fairly expensive. But the only luggage we have found with a real lifetime guarantee. No questions asked. They cover every level of human stupidity including luggage ape damage.

That said, we also have an elceapo MEC wheeled duffle MEC Fast-Track 3 Rolling Duffle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available for dragging some of our scuba gear around. MEC also has very generous guarantee. I returned a 6 year old duffle that was torn apart by the airport luggage system and they happily gave me a complete refund.

For high end hardcases, Pelican or Storm. But they are heavy. Like 20 pounds of the 50 pounds per bag, so that's a problem. I just bought a light rigid case for my new drysuit, it's actually a Gator case for a mixing console, but is 12x24x5" inside. It will go inside a large soft bag if I fly that way.

For high end hardcases, Pelican or Storm. But they are heavy. Like 20 pounds of the 50 pounds per bag, so that's a problem. I just bought a light rigid case for my new drysuit, it's actually a Gator case for a mixing console, but is 12x24x5" inside. It will go inside a large soft bag if I fly that way.
Pelican is not high end - it is just heavy. Way too heavy. Old school engineered. It was designed to protect stuff, not transport it. It is overkill for general scuba gear. Great protection for camara / video stuff. Not so good for transportation.

I am surprised people still buy them (yes I have one, sits in a closest now that I have learned. Available cheap if you want it, shipping charges will be astronomical due to the weight, but I will let it go cheap!).

All the gear I used to stuff in my Pelican now travels carry-on in a lightweight Lowepro backpack bag.

P.S. When was the last time you saw a pelican on the baggage carousel? I see more Coleman coolers these days.

I got an inexpensive hardshell suitcase at Target that only weighs 8.3 lbs. I have used it on several dive trips and am very happy with it. After my last trip, we are going to buy a second one and ditch my last remaining soft sided Akona.

While I don't think mesh bags are adequate for checking gear, I don't think most gear needs the protection of a hard suitcase either - have never had problems in carefully packed soft luggage. We used to use Samsonite hard luggage but moved to rolling duffles long ago. With a load of gear, things on the hard suitcases were always breaking (following the old rule "if it doesn't bend it breaks") We had broken wheels, broken hinges & cracked sides. Besides the weight, we found any lining tended to get funky because you'd sometimes have something not completely dry or a hidden bit of water drain out of something. Hard cases can also be a nuisance on some liveaboards or small planes.

PCI.gif

I use a Porter case for my camera housing and strobes. It is small enough to be used as a carry on with most airlines.
Porter Case - /catalog/

Looks handy maxbottomtime but it's just too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom