Harness&Backplate -vs- BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you dive a drysuit? If not then with double 104's you would sink like a rock in the event of a wing failure.

I used to (briefly) dive double 104's with a stainless plate and 40 pound wing. Even with the over pressure valve popping my rig would sink with those tanks.

As to why I am getting into doubles. In the future, I want to do some cavern and cave. 1/3 in 1/3 out and 1/3 reserve for your buddy right.
Just an FYI, you need to be Full Cave certified to dive doubles to 1/3rds. At the Cavern or Intro level you would be restricted to 1/6ths.

Big Bertha Redundant Bladder Assembly :D

I have been looking into redundancy. A failed bladder had crossed my mind once or twice. Full cave is the ultimate goal for me but no until I have logged enough time under water to deem it the right time.

Just an FYI, you need to be Full Cave certified to dive doubles to 1/3rds. At the Cavern or Intro level you would be restricted to 1/6ths.

This is dependent upon agency, but is fairly common.

Lately there have been really good deals on doubles wings floating around, like dive rite rec wings and (I think) classic for about $160 new. Since you have heavy tanks, get an AL backplate for about $60, harness stuff for another $40 and you're not spending much more to get the BP/W than the zeagle BC.

I'm still confused about your statement about using zeagle tech BC "with backplate". Unless I'm missing something about that particular BC, it's either the BC or the backplate, not both together.

As has been stated, you need a dedicated doubles wing for the dual 104s. You might go for the classic wing, it's huge IMO but they call it a medium-to-large wing. I'm using a rec wing, which is substantially smaller, for my double 72s and I think it would plenty for larger cylinders. Once you get stages, etc you might need more, I guess. In any event, if the zeagle tech bladder is a "crossover" type made to sort-of work with singles and doubles, chances are pretty good it won't work well with big doubles.

I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I'm using doubles for recreational diving in 25 ft of water, often while DMing, solely because I want to train with doubles for eventual cave training. I'm enjoying it and getting more fine control with the doubles all the time. You'll like it, except for carrying the tanks around on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom