Has anybody seen a GW shark in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been several reports of GW's here in NC. The last report I saw was a few weeks ago.....and for whatever reason they seem to like to circle dive boats!? The last report said they sent a speargun and a note down the accent line to the divers below. The note is reported to have said something like"Great White at boat, no kidding!" I am not exactly sure what the speargun was for....

I understand they've been spotting them off the Caribbean Sea Wreck sometimes.

Correct?

Great Whites are found frequently in the Atlantic, though rarely sighted by divers.

One in excess of 20 feet was caught off of Cuba, I remember that about 12 years ago a guy who was surf fishing for sharks brought in a 15 footer in the matanzas inlet. I have ridden in helicopters over the beaches here and seen one about 1200 yards off the beach.

Typically it depends on the time of year as they prefer a cooler water environment around 75 degrees, by mid-summer our surface temps are well above that and they are rarely sighted at that time. In all actuality, a great white is the last thing I fear in our waters.
I would watch out for Tiger shark, Man-o-wars, and most importantly, the Bull Sharks which are probably the most vicous things in our waters. We also have a few very large great Hammerheads (a 19 footer was caught of Jacksonville pier in the late 70's).

I don't ever recall hearing of a Great white being spotted by a diver here, only caught very occasionally by fishermen . The bull shark however, you can go to the keys and see them them terrorizing everything in less than 12" of water, and that's a 8 footer, they'll have half their back out of the water as they go into shallows to attack prey.

KC72 once bubbled...
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody who has been diving in Florida have seen a GW while diving. I am relocating to Fl soon to be near the ocean. Tired of diving lakes and quarry. Hearing about GW really freaks me out while diving. Your response to this thread might by my deciding factor not to relocate there.

Isn't South Carolina near the ocean? :)

I did see a hammerhead once though!

Really cool.

Mostly just little reef sharks and nurse sharks.

Peter

Walter,I committed a cardinal sin of winter diving.I backdove a spot because the 1st diver down came up with a 5pack of snapper, a mango,red,cubera,yellowtail and hog.I went down to 95' peeked under a ledge,shot a hog and restrung.As I finished the lat band a 8-10' GW swam up and started to circle.I was up to the surface in seconds.We still laugh about it as no one was hurt.

Beware of Bullsharks!!! GW's have gotten a bad wrap over the years, but there are alot of folks who swear that Bulls are much more temperamental. There was a story not long ago about someone spearfishing that got attacked by a bull. The diver did attribute his attack to probably provoking the bull with blood since he was cutting his fish in the boat from a previous dive and therefore getting some blood on himself.

Just hit him in the nose if he gets too close :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom