Has anyone cut slots in their own hardplate for STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an aluminum and SS hardplates that don't have the slots cut out for using a single tank with cam band.
I still need to use a STA for them and was wondering if anyone has ever cut their own slots or had the old plates cut by someone.
I am looking for input and maybe some schematic on where the slots should be cut
anyone know???? Thanks

I don't have schematics or diagrams, but I cut two slots in my SS backplate because one pair of the slots already there did not match up to my pioneer wing.

I just attached the wing, then used a marker pen through the slot holes of the wing to draw where the holes should go.

I used a good drill and a metal-cutting drill-bit to make the holes, then filed them down.

As long as you mark the holes correctly you shouldn't have any problems. Not sure about aluminum though...

cheers

r

Thanks for the idea.
I think I will borrow a friends plate that has the slots and mark them that way.
I figure I could do the aluminum plate myself but the SS one would be a lot harder to do I figure.

As long as you get a good drill-bit designed to cut hard steel, and a reasonably powerful drill, the SS backplate should be no problem - shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to drill a set of holes that can be filed through to make a slot.

cheers

r

Aluminum is much easier to drill and debur, but you destroy the manufacturer's anodized finish protecting it. It wll corrode in salt water.

I work in sheetmetal, and live near you . if you need a hand, or advice, I am available. You can have your AL back plate reanodized, but that is expensive.
As a previous poster mentioned SS is much harder to drill, but won't corrode in your life time. You need to a bit more careful drilling up the SS as it'll trash a bit pretty quickly. We regularly drill up SS as well as titanium, just got to do it right.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom