Has anyone ever used a mask mounted light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one on every dive. But only as a task light for specific functions.
76ff881c9aa766a23fbe2f0aa5a761f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK Q40 mounted on the mask as a back up.

I take my backup dive lights, which are HOG 1000's and you can zip tie them to your mask for a few pennies, and then turn on/off your mask light for when you need to use it. It works great.

Similar to this:

Beaver Star Light Underwater 160 Lumens L E D Scuba Dive Mask Torch | eBay

Seems like a good idea for instructing maybe.

People who try mask/head mounted lights usually abandon them - or someone takes the lights away from them - after a dive or two.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2015 at 09:06 AM ----------

To mount backup lights on a helmet is a normal practice for cave divers. Already in the Cavern course they learn not to blind their buddies. I don't see why this mask-mount light could not be equally useful.

Emphasis added. PS - some people do this. It is far from "normal practice" however.

Agree with a lot of the above - no matter how much you try to avoid doing so, you end up blinding people, and I found the extra weight on the mask strap really annoying and I didn't want to wear a separate head band...

My feeling has always been that if you need both hands and a light - possibly if you're wreck, cave or research diving and need to be continually reeling and tying knots and whatnot and you and your buddy understand where not to look then great. For general night diving, I think it's useless. Rule number one for observing critters is to not shine your light directly at them - if you're wearing a head-mounted torch then the only way to do this is - er - not look at the critter. Plus you look like an idiot trying to make a circular OK signal with your head if your hand held lamp fails.... :D

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom