Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'd be up for a reef renewal trip. No way I could do that 10 week internship but I think it would be cool for like a 1 week trip.

I think I'd be up for a reef renewal trip. No way I could do that 10 week internship but I think it would be cool for like a 1 week trip.
Yeah, you take the class the first couple of days, and plant some coral as part of the class, then you volunteer the rest of the week and clean things, mostly. The coral trees get a lot of algae on them.

If you ever want a trip to Australia there are a few, they feed you well, but you work hard, only about 4 hours a day, a woman I know did one on Lady Elliot Island, work, dive, eat, sleep and repeat.
Here is one:

REEF is a good organiztion. Cocoview is a wonderful location. I really would not classify it as a "resort" as the facilities are very nice but hardly lavish. It is a dive resort, not much activity other than diving unless you take excursions away from the resort. Also, with a short class and dive put on the the Roatan Marine Park authority at CocoView, you can get a license to hunt lionfish, Not sure if that could be combined with the REEF activity. I was to Cocoview for the first time this year and plan on heading back soon.

From your profile, I see that you are from Los Angeles. REEF does surveys in Southern California as well. Other groups do kelp reforestation, etc in Orange County. Not sure how active any of these efforts are anymore.

Mote Marine Laboratory on both coasts of Florida may have opportunities for coral restoration. Their Key West lab is focused on coral growth.

I personally think this is a really cool program and plan to do it soon.

Roatan Marine Park has issued licensing for Coco View’s Dockside Dive Center for teaching and tending Coral growing towers…

36191460-AA2D-4B71-9846-73996FB9A524.jpeg
32F4ACF1-8C39-47DC-9CB4-45F6B2364037.jpeg
0CF19378-7FFF-4211-8647-505A09DB9E80.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom