Has anyone here witnessed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

As a good fish story should... this one is growing.
Just got a call from Navy Davy telling me it was a 25' GW :D
I have 25, 25... can I have 35? Just 35 feet for this fella... bid's at 25; 35? I've got 35 from the gentleman on the back row... I have 35, 35, can I have 40?
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

I have 25, 25... can I have 35? Just 35 feet for this fella... bid's at 25; 35? I've got 35 from the gentleman on the back row... I have 35, 35, can I have 40?
Rick

I see your 40 and I raise you another 10. The bet now stands at 50'. (oops, wrong game)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

As a good fish story should... this one is growing.
Just got a call from Navy Davy telling me it was a 25' GW :D

I think I saw this scene in Jaws II or III. 6Gill musta spotted the baby, Navy Davy saw the momma. Ya, that's the ticket, the momma!

Subj: Great White Shark in Puget Sound
Date: Sunday, December 15, 2002 09:30:43

The News Tribune - Tacoma, WA

Fisherman reports encounter with 20-foot great white off Point Defiance

Bob Mottram; The News Tribune

A retired aquarium worker and well-known Tacoma angler, Bob Salatino, encountered what he says was an 18- to 20-foot great white shark in Puget Sound off Tacoma's Point Defiance.

Salatino worked for 20 years at the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium. John Rupp, the aquatic animal curator there, described him as "a knowledgeable fisherman."

Salatino said Friday he encountered the shark while fishing alone for salmon Dec. 6. He was several hundred yards north of Point Defiance.

"The sun was shining, no wind, the water was clear. I was letting my gear out," he said.

Salatino fished with a wire "meat line," a flasher and a bait of herring. A flasher is a metal or plastic device attached to the line ahead of the bait to attract salmon.

"I was standing up in my boat to see how the herring was working behind the flasher," he said. "The flasher was skipping along the top of the water. I went to let it down, and the shark grabbed it."

Salatino had attached a 5-pound lead weight to the line, to take the bait to deep water.

"That 5 pounds of lead just stopped dead," he said. "When he grabbed it, the line went slack. I started cranking in, and my pole bent right around."

Then the shark "just came charging right out of the water," about 25 feet away, Salatino said. "It had the flasher in its mouth, and was throwing its head back and forth. His teeth were like a foot in front of his jaws."

The shark rolled completely over, Salatino said, and the flasher snapped out of its mouth.

"It had a lot of tension, and came flying straight at me," he said, "coming like a bullet. I ducked, and it went clear on the other side of the boat."

The shark splashed around a bit on the surface, dived, and came back to the surface two more times.

"He was looking me square in the eye," Salatino said. "His eyeball was rolled way back."

The shark was 2 to 4 feet longer than his 16-foot boat, the angler said. It was gray on top, its belly was white, and it had "a huge stomach."

Tawnya Patrick, manager of the marine biology program at the University of Washington, said she had not heard of any other encounters with great whites in Puget Sound but that such a thing "is possible." Great whites inhabit the ocean from California to Vancouver Island, she said.

Rupp, the aquatic animal curator, said an encounter such as Salatino described was "improbable but not impossible.

"I suspect that great white sharks do make occasional sorties into Puget Sound," he said. "It would not be a normal occurrence, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility."

Great white sharks patrol offshore on the Washington coast "pretty much all the time," Rupp said. There are no recorded landings or encounters in Puget Sound.

What might prompt a great white to enter Puget Sound?

"It would be pure speculation," Rupp said. "You can go all the way from food drive to just curiosity."

Salatino knows the incident sounds impossible.

"I didn't want to say anything," he said. "Who'd believe you?"

The only potential witnesses were several yards away in another boat. "Two guys should have witnessed it, but they had their heads down," Salatino said.

Sharks at a glance

The great white shark, also called the white shark, white death and man-eater, occurs worldwide in temperate seas. It feeds on fish, gulls, seals and sea lions.

The International Game Fish Association says the great white probably is the most dangerous shark, considering its size, strength and inclination to attack. It has attacked small boats, sometimes sinking them, the association says, and has been known to take a "larger" boat by the propeller and shake it.

An angler fishing off southern Australia in 1959 captured a great white shark that weighed 2,664 pounds. :shark:

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Not uncommon at all. The best place I've found to find and watch hunting groups of several species is in amongst the coral patches in the shallows right in front of Buddy Dive/Lion's Dive on Bonaire.

Bonaire is the first place that came to mind for me as well. We saw symbiotic behavior on every dive but the first "dive culture shock". Snake eels always seemed to have a few small grouper following them. The most common was the spanish hogfish and the trumpetfish.

If we could put the marine life of Bonaire in a cave, I would be in paradise.

:party:

Tugs on his left ear and nods...............

Bid is now to 60'

For what it's worth, I've got video footage of feeding interaction between spotted snake eel and Spanish Hogfish. I guess it's not that unusual after all. Filmed in Utila. Cudabait:band:

I have video of a Spanish Hogfish and goldentail moray working together. Pretty cool footage.

PS I noticed that all the hype stopped about the great white after 6Gill posted the very credible account of what happened. I believe the man in the boat. He's seen quite enough to know what he was talking about. I guess we could compare his credentials to the profiles of the naysayers. Nice post, 6Gill.:guitar:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom