Has anyone overnighted to Holbox for whale sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sally, thanks very, very much for the detailed info, especially on expecting a tough ride to Chiquila and putting one of my fears to rest--the ability to just show up and get on a tour the next morning. You didn't buy your bus tickets days ahead of time or anything, did you?

I'm not too worried about hating Holbox. It's always good to know where people are coming from in their opinions. I went to Isla Mujeres about four years ago and thought I'd like it better if it were a bit sleepier! So I suspect I'll find Holbox delightfully quiet--maybe sort of like visiting Tulum or Playa del Carmen 15-20 years ago (which is when I first visited--I liked it that most of the Tulum beach zone had little or no electricity and I had to read by candlelight). Between living in a major city and the fact that I'll be spending most of my time amid the bustle of Cozumel, I can likely appreciate a couple of nights of boring.

We're working on revising our plans slightly so we can spend two nights on Holbox. I will try to nail down a nice-ish hotel room before we go.

just back from holbox, wonderful weekend, romantic wedding (never helps my case) take lots and lots of mosquito repelent!
hotels are around 90%, check out www.holbox.com, this is hotel delphines or casa sandra, both really beautiful hotels still with vacancies, as we were a group of 25 we stayed in various hotels, prices are high though.
cool pics on those golden rays, we ve been seeing tons of them on the tour around isla contoy! you should be lucky!

sally, i agree too on the slury service on holbox, actually when we were leaving we had a arguement with capitania de puerto too, its like we couldnt get off the island! these guys are worse than the transit police, nuff said on that!
on a brighter note has anyone eaten the lobster pizza?? damn, that was worth the 3hr drive alone!
must see whale sharks, must eat lobster pizza!
its also amazing to see how much tourism the whale shark has brought to holbox, all the houses and stores are painted with whale sharks, manta rays, dolphins, this wasnt the case three years ago!
overall opinion on holbox 2008?
nice: yes, to relax
expensive: yes, almost double prices last time i was there!
boring: yes/no... 2 days, 3 days max a week if you need rehab!
service/people: 5/10
check out punta mosquito too, this is like a spit between the lagoon and ocean, the water must have been 88f, very nice...
enjoy holbox and the big fish!

Ben, sounds like a nice wedding weekend! I've been reading about that lobster pizza. Sounds mighty tempting. I wonder what the surliness is about, if it is indeed widespread. The pressures of invasion??

It seems like those of us visiting for the first time this year may be getting in on the tail-end of the "good" years (or perhaps we represent the beginning of the end, depending on your point of view) before big development. I was a little surprised at the prices of the advertised hotels, especially some of the more modest-looking ones, but the market is apparently bearing it, and I guess so will I.

I've rearranged my flight home and my schedule a bit--we'll be able to swing two nights on Holbox after all, so assuming we can get seats on the bus, the public transport thing should work out. And if I don't have to sit on the floor, I'll consider it a good ride. Dandy Don--it looks like we may be there the same time as you--we will probably arrive the 8th. Do you walk about in a cowboy hat looking like your icon? Maybe we'll see you in town!

I'd still be happy to entertain anyone's specific recommendations--whale shark guys, eating spots, charming bars, turtle tracks, things to avoid, etc.

Ben, sounds like a nice wedding weekend! I've been reading about that lobster pizza. Sounds mighty tempting. I wonder what the surliness is about, if it is indeed widespread. The pressures of invasion??

It seems like those of us visiting for the first time this year may be getting in on the tail-end of the "good" years (or perhaps we represent the beginning of the end, depending on your point of view) before big development. I was a little surprised at the prices of the advertised hotels, especially some of the more modest-looking ones, but the market is apparently bearing it, and I guess so will I.
Oh, I'm sure that the secret is out and new hotels have been built because of the increase in business. Looks like the hotel I selected has a new website for direct booking now: Holbox Dream: holidays travel stay hotel resort mexico holbox $95/night total cost I think - higher at New Years and Spring break.

But there are $35/night hotels there: Travel Guide For Holbox Island Mexico A Quiet Birding and Whale Shark Watching Paradise
I've rearranged my flight home and my schedule a bit--we'll be able to swing two nights on Holbox after all, so assuming we can get seats on the bus, the public transport thing should work out. And if I don't have to sit on the floor, I'll consider it a good ride. Dandy Don--it looks like we may be there the same time as you--we will probably arrive the 8th. Do you walk about in a cowboy hat looking like your icon? Maybe we'll see you in town!

I'd still be happy to entertain anyone's specific recommendations--whale shark guys, eating spots, charming bars, turtle tracks, things to avoid, etc.
Haha, I might, but I change my avatar at times, too. PM me your real name, pics, contact info if you'd like and I'll do the same.

We just got back yesterday after a weekend in Holbox. Flew into Cancun, then rented a car from the airport for $100 for 3 days including liability insurance thru Europcar. Taxi one way we noted was $70 from Cancun. The drive was not too bad, fairly quick at 2.5 hours with a couple of stops. The roads are decent for Mexico (some were in better shape than the route I take to work in Cleveland). The ferry was not air conditioned and it was over 90 degrees - ugh.

When we got there, a taxi golf cart was waiting, and took us to the Villas Paraiso del Mar. Lovely place with AC. We got a room online for $112 a night through an Australian website my husband found. We did a private whaleshark tour and snorkel with Willy's for $405 total, and got "unlimited" (about 10) dips in the drink with the sharks. My husband wasn't up for a cattleboat experience. I guess he talked to one of the guides we thought about going with and wasn't happy with "2 or 3" trips into the water he was promised. We also rented a golf car from Willy's which was in excellent shape and we toured the island for 2 hours. The beaches were among the loveliest I've ever seen, and there were lots of little critters to find in the mangroves. We spent two nights there, which was perfect.

Then we went back and got scammed for an extra day of parking by Pancho - although we were in for less than 48 hours, he wanted "3 days" of parking charges paid. The guys who came into the lot just before us didn't speak any Spanish and the non-English speaking attendant told him that he owed 50 pesos... when he didn't understand, another person who spoke some English came over and told him it was "7 bucks". Whatever - they live in shacks - we can spare the extra money I guess to make their lives a little easier.

Overall - definitely worth a visit, but it's a long haul. Having the car available and not having to negotiate bus time tables was definitely worth it.

FYI about Malaria -- this is copied verbatim from the CDC website:

"Risk is limited to areas infrequently visited by travelers including small foci along the Guatemala and Belize borders in the states of Chiapas, Quintana Roo, and Tabasco; rural areas in the states of Nayarit, Oaxaca, Sinaloa; and in an area between 24°N and 28°N latitude, and 106°W and 110°W longitude, which lies in parts of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Durango. No malaria risk exists along the United States-Mexico border. No malaria risk exists in the major resorts along the Pacific and Gulf coasts.

Risk is very limited; therefore, prophylaxis is not recommended for most travelers to Mexico. Travelers should use personal protection measures such as insect repellents for malaria prevention. Chemoprophylaxis is recommended for the rare traveler going to the risk areas."

I didn't take any Chloroquine (the recommended drug for the hot zones), but I did 40% DEET myself like it was going out of style. There was a concerted effort by the hotel we stayed at and the local government to spray every day for bugs. I got one little mosquito bite on my ankle; I think I got more on the 4th of July at the beach here in Cleveland.

Required Disclaimer: The above is not intended as medical treatment information. All individuals traveling to this area or any other should contact their own physician to make such decisions about their health.

ERdoc1--thanks for the great, detailed info. So how were the whale sharks?? Was there a lot of chasing? Or do the whales get used to you and not flee? How long were you in the drink each time? See any rays?

I like little planes too (once upon a time I even knew how to fly one), but I don't think I'll be puddle jumping on this trip.

I'm also wondering whether, if one is traveling light, the north beach is an easy walk from the ferry (hard to tell from the maps--looks like 10 short blocks, or about a mile?) or if we'd be stupid not to jump on a taxi. I know the taxis are inexpensive, but sometimes it's nice to get a feel by foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom