Has anyone seen green star polyps while SCUBA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it was the Zoanthids that I was getting confused with. I wonder if there's a type of encrusting gorgonian in Bonaire. I should take a slow tour of our local pet store (excellent marine aquarium section) before my next trip. I'm not very good with the names of corals anymore, since I gave up my reef tank.

Just got back from Bonaire. I kept seeing what I thought was a brown version of GSP's, so I did a little research and there is Briareum asbestinum in the Carribean.

Aquarium Invertebrates: Caribbean Gorgonians: Beauty in Motion ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

The Caribbean species of Briareum are Zoanthids, a term more generally descriptive than strictly taxonomic, and they, along with another species that is very similar, are the encrusting animals found in the Caribbean that are universally known as Zoanthids.

Their resemblance to the Pacific species seen in aquarium stores is moderate at best. In Jamaica, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Caymans they are common. I've seen them in tan, white, brown, green, and a purplish blue. Their open polyp is quite large, and their tentacles comparatively short when compared to Pacific Star Polyps, which are also smaller. Darker colors are usually found deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom