Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea agree Burhan, very keen to actually have a detailed look at one and then I will decide if its worth upgrading. Glad to see a few pictures provided.

monoprene is good, it's what fins are made out of and yes it dries instantly. BUT it still has webbing, which takes a long time to dry, and it is still a clunky jacket BC. Go back to looking at BP/W's it will be much better money spend. I imagine this is going to be stupid expensive. Considering their cheapest BC is the Pilot at $350, then jumps straight to the $500-$700 range, you're far better off getting a BP/W for under $500 and never have to worry about it.... Sure this thing is modular, but how expensive are the modules going to be? They have to pay for the moulds to make all of those custom parts which aren't cheap, and it's Scubapro so you're going to be pay for that S. Support local US business and products actually made in the US instead of China, buy from Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite, Oxycheq, or Halcyon and you'll be much better off both from a cost and quality standpoint, but also supporting local business that will actually stand behind their products...

Hi,

first of all i think this jacket is going to have a huge impact on the market for “recreational diving jackets”. The monopren is so soft – you don’t need any more extra cushion. Without any mash this jacket dries very fast. When you slip in those monoprene straps, the jacket feels so comfortable. There is no itching and scratching anymore. The whole system is very lightweight (3.3 kg). It is also a very nice travel jacket. You can fold it very tiny!

But I don’t see this jacket suitable for Tec Divers. It has too much “plastic”. Call me old fashioned – I love my steel backplate, my wing and my p-weight.

Just my 2 Cents.

Greetings from the “Boot in Düsseldorf”

I don't have to wait till it comes out, I've seen enough just from those photos.
Another clunker.
What photos have you seen that enable you to make this strong opinion? I haven't been able to see any pictures of the actual BC. All I have seen are teasers that don't give a full view of the BC.

3.3kg for travel? yikes that's heavy... easily a full kilo heavier than most of the travel bpw's.

Burhan, look at the hips, that's all you need to see. I can either have a $3 piece of webbing with a metal belt buckle on the end of it as my total harness, or I can have whatever that is with weight integrated pockets, and clips and straps everywhere that cost quite a bit to replace and are completely unnecessary.... Take your pick, but seeing the weight above gives me absolutely no reason to even think about, especially once the cost comes out.

Here is the issue. For $485, I can have a backplate and wing that is made in the USA, to the highest quality standards in the industry. It weighs about 2.5kg for travel, the backplate dries instantly, the wing and webbing are required, but still dry fairly quick. It is truly modular, and you can grow with it in your diving. It also packs flatter because the plate is almost perfectly flat and the wing is easily removable, hell it is designed to come off for travel and cleaning. Should I decide for whatever strange reason that ditchable weight is required, for $50 I can have universal slide on weight pockets for the waist strap.
Alternatively for the same money I can go to a SS BP/W where I can remove 6lbs from my waist strap, and the total rig weight is somewhere around 4kg, but it gives me an instant 6lb distributed weight to offset the positive buoyancy of an AL80 and is usually enough for travel divers to not have to wear any weight at all...

What on earth would compel me to go away from that and go to the hydros?

i took a good look at this BCD at DEMA. it did look very interesting. some really cool engineering behind it. it will make a great travel BC or a good all around BC as it "converts".
Make no mistake, this is a traditional jack BC. I dive a BPW and would never go back. BUT for those that like the jacket BC, or are pure recreational divers this BC is a big deal. it is very well done and well made.

It looks nice enough, kinda fancy, but I don't see anything much new about it from the pix. It looks like another back inflate rig designed for those poor clueless fools who just want to enjoy DIVING; no doubles, stage bottles, cave reels or pissing contests about gear configuration or tech training.
(I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm a bit grumpy..)

why can't someone who just wants to enjoy diving learn and dive in a BP/W? they're cheaper and easier to dive than most stab jackets and much less frustrating once they are set up properly... all of our students are trained in BP/W's from the beginning, then they have to rent stab jackets for OWT *operating under the principal of this is what you're going to rent when you rent gear and want them to experience the benefits of the BP/W* and every single one of them is ecstatic when they get get back in the pool with the BP/W because they are much more comfortable...

Scubapro employee said it would be available in May. Price is around 669 Euro.

There will be male and female jackets. Wings have 35 or 40 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom