Scubapro Hydros upgrade to BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks ! There’s an optional crotch strap for the hydros pro though
any crotch strap will work. don't get sucked down the rabbit hole of hydros specific accessories like the ninja pocket, hip bag, crotch strap, etc. just like a BP/W, less is more.

The fact that you're a big guy, especially recreational diving, doesn't mean you need a 40lb wing. On my last trip I carried 8lb of lead and I'm around a 240lb guy. I could get away with an 18lb wing in warm water with up to a 3mm wetsuit.

The fact that you're a big guy, especially recreational diving, doesn't mean you need a 40lb wing. On my last trip I carried 8lb of lead and I'm around a 240lb guy. I could get away with an 18lb wing in warm water with up to a 3mm wetsuit.
Yeah, actuakky what I mean when I wrote it is that I think mine is too big

One possible advantage of a BPW is the crotch strap. I've got a long torso and a big belly. The waist strap of conventional BCDs tend to slip up my body anytime I'm vertical and especially on the surface, resulting in the BCD ending up around my ears unless I pull it down. With a BP/W, everything stays in place no matter what happens.

This isn't an issue with the Hydros Pro at all. the material of the backplate sticks to your wetsuit and doesn't move at all. You can still attach a crotch strap to the Hydros Pro even when you don't need it to fix the BC on you. I attached a crotch strap to the Hydros just for the D-ring for being towed by a DPV nothing else.

I actually switched to Hydros Pro from BP/W for my recreational diving.
I did the same, only, I don't use the weight pockets, just the simple harness, tried the crotch strap for a few dives and found I did not need it.
This shot is a few years old now, plenty of dives on it now, so easy on/off.

20210813_090945.jpg

OP mentioned inside wrecks. Here a BPW is going to be a better choice because you should not be doing wreck penetration with a single tank. More than few went into overheads with a single cylinder and ended up dead when they ran out of gas.
A BPW will allow you to run doubles. Just need a bigger wing. Also a BPW will fit the same every time once you have it set up. Only two things to adjust, the waist belt and crotch strap for different thickness suits. And less than 1/2 the cost. Also, if you need to replace anything, many wings can be repaired for less than $100. Just replace the bladder. Harness? 12 bucks worth of webbing and just reuse the hardware.

OP mentioned inside wrecks. Here a BPW is going to be a better choice because you should not be doing wreck penetration with a single tank. More than few went into overheads with a single cylinder and ended up dead when they ran out of gas.
A BPW will allow you to run doubles. Just need a bigger wing. Also a BPW will fit the same every time once you have it set up. Only two things to adjust, the waist belt and crotch strap for different thickness suits. And less than 1/2 the cost. Also, if you need to replace anything, many wings can be repaired for less than $100. Just replace the bladder. Harness? 12 bucks worth of webbing and just reuse the hardware.

He already has a Hydros. If he is intending to go tech. diving, wreck penetration is tech diving, and using doubles, he will need to buy an appropriate BC for that anyways. He should do that once he is at that level and after training and lots of $$$. At this point for recreational diving, what he has is excellent and has all of the features he would need.

OP mentioned inside wrecks.

He mentioned:
less entanglement concern in wrecks ?

That doesn't mean going INSIDE wrecks/penetrating wrecks. He also said:
No current intention to go into tech

He does NOT need BP/W or doubles. The Hydros Pro offers him all he will ever need for recreational single tank diving.

tried the crotch strap for a few dives and found I did not need it.

You don't need it if you aren't doing DPV for sure. The Hydros is the most stable recreational BC out there.

Semi off topic but may impact a person's decision on this topic...

Has anyone done rescue diver drills with a "victim" that's in a Hydros BC? I'm thinking in terms of taking the kit off the diver at the surface while dragging to the boat and doing rescue breaths etc. Does the "stickiness" of the Hydros hinder your ability to doff the BC from the diver? After unbuckling all the attachment points, you can usually just slide the BC off to the side under the diver. How does the Hydros grippiness change things if at all?

Semi off topic but may impact a person's decision on this topic...

Has anyone done rescue diver drills with a "victim" that's in a Hydros BC? I'm thinking in terms of taking the kit off the diver at the surface while dragging to the boat and doing rescue breaths etc. Does the "stickiness" of the Hydros hinder your ability to doff the BC from the diver? After unbuckling all the attachment points, you can usually just slide the BC off to the side under the diver. How does the Hydros grippiness change things if at all?

I have tried that, as I do with any new BC I use or use in my dive school, no issues at all. It isn't glue :)

Back
Top Bottom