Has anyone seen these "drysuits" on ebay??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iceman900t

Registered
Reaction score
I was just curious...as I was browsing around on ebay today, they had a bunch of these "military immersion drysuits" for pretty cheap. Apparently, they aren't scuba drysuits in the usual sense since they don't appear to have any way to pressurize them. What I was wondering is, has anybody ever used these or seen them used?? How do they fare as a form of exposure protection for divers? Like as a substitute for a 7mm wetsuit? Here's the link to the sale...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36071&item=2239722616&rd=1

Thanks!
Ben

Both inflation and exhaust and boots and make the suit diveable but why? By the time you add what it would need you would be almost to the price of a purpose built dive suit.

I might consider one of these for kayaking or other cold water boating. I would still have to add booties or boots but it would not be so bad overall.

If I had spare cash to waste I might buy one just to play with. You know, practice putting on seals, i.e. the boots.

I would say they are probably worth the price if you have a use for them.

I don't think they are actually "waterproof" as I have never seen a drysuit made of Goretex.

At least you asked the question before you went and bought them. I dread everytime someone comes into my shop with another so-called ebay bargain only to findout they were taken.

Some of the Ebay scuba gear GAF's I have seen include:
  • A used 20 year old sherwood first and second stage ( $125 CAN) that was flooded and required a new piston as it still had the original with the non replaceable HP seat.
  • An antique single stage High pressure regulator that had an almost new TUSA octopus cross threaded into it (with teflon tape no less) and the customer just wanted me to adjust the octo (which was of course seriously freeflowing) and slap some gauges on it cause he was going to Caymen the next day
  • A $35 Divers knife that was big enough to kill Jaws and rusted solid after one dive.
  • Steel tanks that were illegal in Canada
  • Cracked Aluminum Tanks
  • Bleached and Faded BCD's that were $50 less than a new one by the time they paid shipping and taxes.
  • A viking drysuit that looked great until they went diving and found out it was delaminating and had an endless amount of pinhole leaks

If you find a so called bargain ask your local shop they will likley be happy to giveyou some feedback. I know I never care if a customer buys used - because it gets him diving and eventually he will trade up or buy something from me too. Just don't get taken...

CAVEAT EMPTOR

(for those of you whose Latin is rusty that means buyer beware)

OTOH i know of someone that bought a northern diver drysuit off ebay and its a decent fit and doesnt leak so it can work out.

Dive Source:
I don't think they are actually "waterproof" as I have never seen a drysuit made of Goretex.
Goretex main claim to faim is that it's waterproof, so why don't you think it would be waterproof in a drysuit?

If you find a so called bargain ask your local shop they will likley be happy to giveyou some feedback

I'm very sure he would.... What kind of feedback might be questionable (not that there could be a ulterior motive), so maybe better to ask a more experienced friend and with a grain of salt. Ive seen and bought a lot of ebay stuff, and as always there is good and bad, but same in any lds

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Yep

ScubaRon:
Goretex main claim to faim is that it's waterproof, so why don't you think it would be waterproof in a drysuit?

I would imagine if it worked drysuit manufacturers would be using it....anyway here you go...

From the Gore-tex website:

The outermost layer of a Gore shell fabric has an ultra-thin polymer treatment called a durable water repellent, or DWR. This treatment penetrates the fibers and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off the garment instead of being absorbed.

Water-repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents liquid from saturating your Gore garment's outer fabric, a condition known as 'wet out' that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel like it's leaking, although it's not.

DWR is not a waterproofing treatment and by itself does not provide protection in extended wet weather. But used on a weatherproof Gore garment, it will help keep you dry and comfortable by reducing the heat loss through wet fabric

Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellant, and other impurities, causes DWR failure. DWR is not permanent on any fabric. Its effective life depends upon how you care for your garment and how rigorously it is used.

Maybe you should have done a little more thorough reading. DWR is a treatment used on many fabrics, and is what causes water to bead up on your rain jacket. It isn't what makes Gore-Tex waterproof, though. Gore-Tex fabrics are laminates with the waterproofness provided by a layer of expanded PTFE. If you did more homework, you would find that there are many drysuits made of Gore-Tex and similar breathable fabrics, particulary for active sports like kayaking as another poster mentioned. Some of the breathability benefits are negated when totally submerged, and for Scuba, I imagine that the costs of a breathable suit would significantly outweigh the benefits. But the fabric is certainly waterproof. Thanks for playing, though.

Dive Source:
I would imagine if it worked drysuit manufacturers would be using it....anyway here you go...

From the Gore-tex website:

The outermost layer of a Gore shell fabric has an ultra-thin polymer treatment called a durable water repellent, or DWR. This treatment penetrates the fibers and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off the garment instead of being absorbed.

Water-repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents liquid from saturating your Gore garment's outer fabric, a condition known as 'wet out' that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel like it's leaking, although it's not.

DWR is not a waterproofing treatment and by itself does not provide protection in extended wet weather. But used on a weatherproof Gore garment, it will help keep you dry and comfortable by reducing the heat loss through wet fabric

Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellant, and other impurities, causes DWR failure. DWR is not permanent on any fabric. Its effective life depends upon how you care for your garment and how rigorously it is used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom