Has anyone used the Aqualung Snap snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like a handy little thing to carry in the BC while diving.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

...I'll let you know. It's just quarry diving, so I don't really need a snorkel. I got really sick of my Ocean Master dry snorkel (which, by the way, is totally dry and works great) whapping the side of my head (unfortunately, it also works great as an underwater S&M device). I got the Snap snorkel so I'd have one if I needed it without all of the dangly hassle of the dry snorkel.

I always carry my Aqualung Impulse snorkel with me, which is a great snorkel, but very bulky: the last 100 or so dives I have put in in the knife straps on my leg, but it does get tangled every once in a while and I know I'll lose it someday.

So if this Snap is a halfway decent snorkel, it may be the solution for me. Let me know how it works.

Let me preface this by stating that I've been terribly spoiled by my Ocean Master flex dry snorkel. Aside from the bulk and the need to have it dangling on the side of my head if I plan to use it, it's a great snorkel. It stays upright when I'm face-down and it's totally dry.

I bought the Aqualung Snap because I had taken to diving without a snorkel as I didn't like the bulk and the weight. As far as I'm concerned:

The Snap rolls up into a holder that's about the size of a hockey puck. Very nice and compact.

The Snap also is relatively easy to remove from the holder and attatch to your mask.

However, I found that the Snap didn't always want to stay totally upright and, thus, wasn't that dry. It also lacks any type of purge valve, making it more difficult to clear once water gets into it.

The result: I'll use my Ocean Master when snorkeling or when I want a snorkel due to rough surface conditions.

I'll take my Snap when the surface is calm or when the only reason I want a snorkel is for legal reasons (some places require you to have a snorkel). If there's a REALLY pressing need to use it, I'll have it but I won't be using it by choice.

Mmmmm.
Maybe I'll take a look at the Sherwood "folding" snorkel instead.
Thanks for the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom