DIR- Generic How to choose bolt snap sizes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you choose a size for a bolt snap based on how big your hands are. You want the trigger to be the appropriate distance away from the finger or thumb that will open it.

SPG: I'm trying to train myself to grab the hose between my middle and ring finger. I'll use my thumb to open the trigger and my index finger to help find the d-ring when clipping it back. Unfortunately, I did not start DIR diving using this technique and it's hard to adopt a new habit. So for the SPG, the bolt snap length should be long enough so my thumb can comfortably reach it.

Long hose: Same logic as above, except the trigger should be a comfortable distance away for the index finger to open it. Long hose bolt snaps are opened with the index finger.

In either case, bolt snaps with big eyes should be avoided. I'm talking about the bolt snaps used for stage bottles.

Anyone have comments to add?

I don't think the choice of bolt snap size has much to do with the size of one's hands. The long-hose bolt snap should be as small as practical, to minimize the size and weight of something that's going to be dangling from a reg in your mouth. Also, the long-hose bolt snap doesn't get a lot of abuse; it's either in your mouth or it's clipped to your chest D-ring. The SPG bolt snap can be larger to make it easier to handle. Also, the SPG is subject to more use and abuse, so it could probably benefit from a beefier bolt snap. This is just my thinking--I haven't read anything definitive on the subject.

I was advised in my fundies class to use a small boltsnap for the long hose to avoid having something heavy and cumbersome hanging off your face.

If you dive in cold water with dry gloves you may also prefer bigger boltsnaps in general as they are easier to handle.

If you dive in cold water with dry gloves you may also prefer bigger boltsnaps in general as they are easier to handle.
Or even more important if you are diving cold water "wet" gloves like 5mm ot 7mm

If you're talking about SM/stages/deco bottles which get removed/reattached during the dive having a larger base ring (swivel fitting) can speed the process, particularly then wearing think wet or dry gloves. Especially true of the neck bolt snap when wearing multiple bottles. Tail not so much in BM, but more so in SM when there is no excess leash to grasp and having the bigger ring allows you to put a finger through it to hold the bottle in place while working the bolt gate/D ring connection.

Photo below shows (T to B) long hose snap, SPG snap and SM tail snap.

Attachments

• Bolt Snaps.jpg
    Bolt Snaps.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 163
I guess you choose a size for a bolt snap based on how big your hands are. You want the trigger to be the appropriate distance away from the finger or thumb that will open it.

SPG: I'm trying to train myself to grab the hose between my middle and ring finger. I'll use my thumb to open the trigger and my index finger to help find the d-ring when clipping it back. Unfortunately, I did not start DIR diving using this technique and it's hard to adopt a new habit. So for the SPG, the bolt snap length should be long enough so my thumb can comfortably reach it.
stage
Long hose: Same logic as above, except the trigger should be a comfortable distance away for the index finger to open it. Long hose bolt snaps are opened with the index finger.

In either case, bolt snaps with big eyes should be avoided. I'm talking about the bolt snaps used for stage bottles.

Anyone have comments to add?
You're on the wrong track here... You don't pick bolt snaps based on your hand size - that would mean a team's worth of gear has all different sizes afterall.

There are really only two sizes used.
1) SPGs and stage rigging used the small hook, but with the 1" ring size shown here circled in blue. Your finger goes through the ring for 100% of your stage bottle manipulations and likewise the vast majority of your SPG manipulations - at least until you are proficient. You can go down a size on the SPG if you like but its not necessary, never larger than 1" however

2) Long hose and backup lights, you don't want a large clip wacking you in the lip or cheek nor something on your harness you rarely use which is easy to confuse with a stage bottle or anything else. The smallest "000" is most common, but occasionally folks with dry gloves go up one size. Circled here in red

That's it, you want to avoid the giant snaps or to do any adjusting based on you personal hand/finger size. You can adapt to the clips with training and practice and your gear will be consistent across you & teammates

Attachments

• 38-Swivel-Bolt-Snap-SS--3-Inch-01946-4797marked.jpg
    38-Swivel-Bolt-Snap-SS--3-Inch-01946-4797marked.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 149
You're on the wrong track here... You don't pick bolt snaps based on your hand size - that would mean a team's worth of gear has all different sizes afterall.

There are really only two sizes used.
1) SPGs and stage rigging used the small hook, but with the 1" ring size shown here circled in blue. Your finger goes through the ring for 100% of your stage bottle manipulations and likewise the vast majority of your SPG manipulations - at least until you are proficient. You can go down a size on the SPG if you like but its not necessary, never larger than 1" however

2) Long hose and backup lights, you don't want a large clip wacking you in the lip or cheek nor something on your harness you rarely use which is easy to confuse with a stage bottle or anything else. The smallest "000" is most common, but occasionally folks with dry gloves go up one size. Circled here in red

That's it, you want to avoid the giant snaps or to do any adjusting based on you personal hand/finger size. You can adapt to the clips with training and practice and your gear will be consistent across you & teammates
Do you ever use butterfly boltsnaps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom