Has anyone used those space bag or PackMate compression bags for dive travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vertaqua:
Has anyone tried using the large ziploc bags? You'd probably have to use a bunch but there a lot cheaper than those space bags and they seem to work on the same principle. I looked on ziploc's website and they make them as big as 2' x 2.7'
Not the same principal at all, the basic closure is like a ziploc but the space bags have a one way valve that lets the air out when you roll the bag up. It's hard to do it nearly as well with a regular ziploc.

I use them and love them also. Sometimes getting them to seal is a bit of a trick but I can even stuff my 400g thinsulate drysuit undies in one of the large off-brand ones and get it to squish down enough to fit in the bag with my drysuit. They work great for keeping stuff dry on the boat as long as you have them sealed.
Ber :lilbunny:

Damselfish:
Not the same principal at all, the basic closure is like a ziploc but the space bags have a one way valve that lets the air out when you roll the bag up. It's hard to do it nearly as well with a regular ziploc.

If you close the the zip loc almost all the way and then roll up the garments inside to squish out the air and then seal it all the way it does act like a one way valve, only a lot cheaper. You can also take a straw and suck out the air and then quickly seal it. The cheapest I've seen these space saver bags is 10 dollars for three of them, that seems like a lot for a glorified ziploc bag. You can get a box of 12 ziploc 2 gallon size bags on amazon for 4.33.

Once your stuff has water in it, you'll be slurping a drink.

vertaqua:
If you close the the zip loc almost all the way and then roll up the garments inside to squish out the air and then seal it all the way it does act like a one way valve, only a lot cheaper. You can also take a straw and suck out the air and then quickly seal it. The cheapest I've seen these space saver bags is 10 dollars for three of them, that seems like a lot for a glorified ziploc bag. You can get a box of 12 ziploc 2 gallon size bags on amazon for 4.33.

Shasta_man:
Once your stuff has water in it, you'll be slurping a drink.

A little salt water's good for you, it builds character. Or if you have enough character just roll the bag up to force the water and air out, then seal the bag. Then with the money you just saved on the cheaper bags, go directly to the nearest bar and buy yourself a pint.

I use them for general travel including clothes for a dive trip. I have seen ads on TV for the ones that you hook a vacuum up to. I just lay down on mine or roll them up until all the air is out. If you have one of the kind with a vacuum attachment can you get the air out for your journey home without a vacuum?

janeandjay:
I use them for general travel including clothes for a dive trip. I have seen ads on TV for the ones that you hook a vacuum up to. I just lay down on mine or roll them up until all the air is out. If you have one of the kind with a vacuum attachment can you get the air out for your journey home without a vacuum?
I'd like to know the answer to that too, since those are the kind I have and haven't used them for travel because of that.

I have to assume the vacuum kind are meant for home storage only (or maybe the folks selling them were hoping people would buy before thinking about the return trip ...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom