Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a domestic flight within Panama, I was weighed along with my luggage.

For a domestic flight within Panama, I was weighed along with my luggage.
How big was the plane? When did they assign seats?

On the 7 seater (including pilot) we took from BVI to Porto Rico, they weighed everything and then the pilot assigned seats based on people's weight.

I think it is related to getting a proper weight distribution front to back?

It was a pretty big plane. I was very surprised once boarded. Like you, I'd expected it to be a small plane.

Coming back from Tahiti on Air Tahiti Nui they weighed ALL of the carry-on. A good number of bags had to be checked. I'd be very happy if the airlines would enforce their carry-on policies regarding number, size, and weight. Rarely see that happening now.

We are leaving for 3 weeks in Spain. Carry-on only. We each have the two bags, and weight of the "main" bag is 20lbs. I sure as hell better get space in the bins, but I know we will be standing in line with people who have three or more "bags" and who can't lift one of them.

The airlines already make the base rate inclusive: it's called first class.

Amen. If I want a pleasant experience, I pay for it.

If I can't pay for it, I hope I flew enough last year to get a little consideration from the airline.

If I only gave the airline $400 for a heavily discounted flight last year then I've demonstrated the value I bring to the airline and I'll take my seat in the center between two land whales in row 73 next to the lav.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2014 at 08:12 AM ----------

I don't care what the rules are just apply them fairly...I finally went to Delta's frequent fliers program just to get priority boarding.

The rules are applied fairly - front of the plane and frequent fliers board first. I doubt that your ticket confirmation guaranteed you a correlation between early purchase and early boarding (that's a benefit for high revenue passengers, not thrifty ones who plan ahead). Sounds like you got there and are taking part in the fairness of the system.

The fees don't bother me nearly as much as the frigging whining at the gate, however. Everyone wants to try to sneak something by. Everyone thinks that the airline didn't mean them. Lady, I don't care if your carryon has the laptop, lunch, and the crown jewels. It's too big, it has to be gate checked. Shut up, get on the plane, and stop your bellyaching.
What is NOT ok however is if they decide to tell me to leave my within size and weight limit bag with photo and computer equipment worth $5000 in the cargo hold, where its specified in my insurance it should never under any circumstance be, just because they let that whinging bitch in with her oversized, overweight bag...
With Wookie on this. Just make the base rate inclusive of all of the "normal" things that should be included in that flight. Hate getting nickle and dimed to death.

The idea that charging for extra bags is justified by the "extra weight" that they use is BS. My partner weighs about 100lb I weigh more :) average for my height. So based on the weight she should get a discount I should pay the base rate and Wookie should pay a premium. Silly, give us a reasonable weight limit included in the fair and charge more for those that need more.

All of this "extra charging" is creating a very uncomfortable flying experience. The queuing process at the gate to get the limited overhead bins is becoming unbearable.
Question is, what is "normal"?
The only thing I ALWAYS have is a carryon bag. Wether or not i have checked luggage and how many cases/how much weight it is varies.
Last flight I was on I brought something like 15lb worth of carryon, the next flight Ill be bringing something like 110lb worth of luggage (no, I wont try sneaking that past the boarding gate).

There HAS actually been some airlines playing with the "total weight" concept though, but Ive never seen it tested in practice - weighing passanger with luggage and charging accordingly..

The rules are applied fairly - front of the plane and frequent fliers board first.

you missed the point or I didn't make it clear enough. I don't care when I board the plane is not going to leave without me.What I want enforced fairly is the size and weight of the carry-on. Just because you board early does not give you carte blanche to have a carry-on that is over sized and over weight so that passengers that board later that follow the rules are penalized.

Here's another place the airlines need to copy the military. Board the plane, go to your seat and sit down! Once everyone is boarded around you; then and only then, you can get up and stow your bag. If the military can load 300 troops with bags and rifles onto a commercial aircraft in 5 minutes, there's no reason the airline needs 25-30 to accomplish an easier task.
There is - a few.
Most notable ones that civilians are not allowed to carry guns onto a plane, making it much less dangerous to piss them off and the fact that civilians have no sense of dicipline (and appreciation for any time you can sit your ass down and just relax for 5 minutes)

There is - a few.
Most notable ones that civilians are not allowed to carry guns onto a plane, making it much less dangerous to piss them off and the fact that civilians have no sense of dicipline (and appreciation for any time you can sit your ass down and just relax for 5 minutes)
Well, if your picture is any indication, you know the gun is not dangerous, because 1. There is no ammo, 2. No one is going to get upset and use it as a club, 3. Discipline voids this as an issue, 4. There are 299 other people equally armed to restrain someone who violated rule 1 and 2.

There is a simple fix to the discipline. Lock all the overheads remotely when the seatbelt sign is on. When ready, unlock. This would even lock them inflight during turbulence, which enhances safety.

Good to see you took the joke...

And yeah, locking the bins remotely I think would be a fantastic way of stopping everyone from messing about

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom