Hatteras Aug 6th/7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It looks like I'll be in Hatteras the weekend of the 6th and I'm looking for folks to dive with, if possible. I've checked with several shops and they're all either full or doing "deep" dives that I don't want to do just now. Anyone have recommendations of dive ops near the area (up to an hour drive perhaps) that may not have full boats that day? Or conversely, any good shore diving happening?

If your profile is accurate you might not be quite ready to dive offshore at Hatteras. That limits your options. Since OBX Dive in Nags Head is having their Tech-Wreck weekend you might be out of luck. There is some shore diving, but you will need a guide or you won't be able to find the wrecks. Perhaps you can call OBX and tell them what you are looking for. You might also want to post at ncdivers.com just in case someone has a spot on their boat or is interested in doing some shore diving.

Outer Banks Diving

The captain is a divemaster - I did my first "real" dives outside of a Florida sinkhole on a 90 foot wreck with him. It's only $35 or so extra to buddy up with the divemaster. Be sure to take some seasickness meds the night before the dive and that morning.

It depends on your confidence level, but I wouldn't even consider going to Hatteras without diving the offshore wrecks. It is really, really AWESOME.

I'm glad you had a good experience. While I wholeheartedly recommend diving off Hatteras (it is awesome), I would recommend Captain JT Barker (Under Pressure) and Captain Dave Sommers (Lion's Paw) instead of the operator you mention.

The Under Pressure is doing a "deep" weekend charter that weekend and OuterBanks is currently booked up, as is the Lion's Paw. I'm on the wait list for the OuterBanks trips that weekend. I haven't been able to actually get in touch with DiveHatteras (Lion's Paw) directly yet to see about their possible waitlist and scheduled trip.

joeforBroke, I appreciate your comments regarding my experience but I believe I am more than adequately prepared for shallower dives in Hatteras, down to 80 or 90 feet. I've done about 18 dives now ranging in viz from 5 feet to 100+ and cold water to what most people consider warm-- drifts, boats, shore, currents, fresh and salt water, and depths down to ~75 feet. That said, I realize I'm a newbie, truly. I also am aware of my limits and I have no intention of doing any of the deeper wrecks or dives that can be expected to have strong currents, which is why I won't be booking a seat on the Under Pressure for that weekend.

I'll also call around about doing some guided shore dives as I don't have a buddy anyway and I'd really like to get a couple dives in through the weekend. A couple of decent (and shallow) shore dive options... NC Divers Beach Diving, ShipWreck Directory

Back
Top Bottom