Have been distracted later with this . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floridawannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been working on making myself miss saltwater less. I now have a 35 gallon reef aquarium and a 125 gallon aggressive aquarium. Talk about another expensive hobby. I love the coral reef I am building and it is growing each day. I am learning so much about how a coral reef grows and the inhabitants. Thought I would share some pics of them. The second pic is my Candy Cane Coral, it started out with just eight polyps and now has 20 +. The third is my new DogFace Puffer(Sasha) she is bashful, but when I come down she always comes to the top to greet me. The fourth is a Snow Flake Eel(Spike) he is basically doing what he always does. Finds holes in rocks and investigates where he should hide. The first day when we had the SFE my wife decided to feed them and I guess the LFS did not feed him a lot. So as she loves all animals and fish, she stuck her hand down to feed our very large hermit crab. The SFE smelled the food and darted out at her had and bit her finger. She said she freaked and yanked her hand out but Spike did not hurt her. He is about 8 inches long and still a baby he should get to be 24 inches in a year or two. I just thought you guys might want to see why I have not been on this board lately, But I am still diving the green lake water around here. Click on the pics to enlarge.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 32
  • SashaHutSWF.jpg
    SashaHutSWF.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 38
  • SpikeBashful.jpg
    SpikeBashful.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 33
Nice tank! I had a 40 gallon tank in which I had seagrass, marine algeas, and lots of invertebrates. I used a 400 watt metal halide with a canister filter. You need alot of light for your corals. Check out www.reefcentral.com . It's a message board dedicated to reef tanks. Be warned though, this hobby is more expensive than even scuba diving. Some people have $10,000-20,000 invested in their reef tanks.

Here's the setup I sold a few years ago to support another addiction. I spent about a year coming up with a design and putting it all together. I even built the stand and canopy myself. I kept it running successfully for five years. Maybe someday when I have more time I'll get back into it. I certainly enjoyed it and never realized how much my kids like it too, until someone came to pick it up. And as David said, it was certainly more expensive than diving.

Tank.jpg

Nice tank! I had a 40 gallon tank in which I had seagrass, marine algeas, and lots of invertebrates. I used a 400 watt metal halide with a canister filter. You need alot of light for your corals. Check out Reef Central Online Community . It's a message board dedicated to reef tanks. Be warned though, this hobby is more expensive than even scuba diving. Some people have $10,000-20,000 invested in their reef tanks.

Wow 400 MH on the 40 gallon. How many coral had heat stroke :D I only have 175 MH on my 35 plus 2 65 W PC. I love my reef tank it is awsome to watch the coral and other things in it. Yeah, that is why I have nto bought any new scuba gear.

Back
Top Bottom