haven't dived yet--going to roatan. Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, why not get certified before you go? Roatan has some great diving. Better to spend that BT enjoying the environment opposed to working towards certification.

Had great experiences with West End Divers.

Exactlly! And you might luck out and have a better grasp on their buoyancy right out of the gate. I went to Bonaire last year and I was a ways off from having my buoyancy down. Had a good time but it would have been much better...if only.

I don't want to say you'll be wasting your time getting cert there but lets say you'll be miles ahead of those just getting their feet wet.

x2 on getting certified before you leave if possible. I dove with Bananarama last fall, great experience. Some really cool drift dives around Roatan.

I went there in '05 after getting certified. Got off the Carnival Valor Cruise ship and had my own dives booked with some shop I can't remember. One thing I notice was the max. depth on some dives was around 100 ft.

Make it clear to them that you're not interested in going that deep yet. There's plenty to see up above.

Suggestions...

Never, ever dive without dive insurance - regardless. Divers Alert Network is the most popular but do not settle for the cheapest plan; the next one is much better for only $10 more.

Consider Trip insurance altho I get that other than at DAN, along with CDC and State Department advisories. Make you own calls, but read the info.

I guess you will be using rental gear. Take and carry your own surface signaling gear as they will not have any for you.

Get copies of your certification paperwork in case it gets lost in the mail and you have to prove it all to the agency.
thanks for this great advice. I'll post some photos when Im back if I have an underwater camera by then.
:no: Oh no, don't...!

Learn to dive safely, staying off of the coral, before getting into multitasking like that. Newbies drown and lose cameras frequently, if not themselves. Take lots of land & boat shots and ask divers to email you pics of you in the water.

Last edited:
2d my Marine brother's comments regarding underwater photography & DAN.

As for depths of dives in Roatan, there are great dives everywhere beginning in the 20' range. That's why its important to pick a shop and dive with them the entire trip. That way, you can match the sites to experience and expectations.

For sure get certified before you go! Then maybe do AOW while you're there starting with Peak Performance Buoyancy. You won't regret it...

yeah about the camera, I do not take mine still ... after an incident with one and a 7 foot rise before I could arrest my ascent :blush: ... this all from about 25 feet.
While concentrating on the viewfinder It's too easy to find yourself rising unnoticed until your ears tell you ... that's too late

And I agree on DAN insurance .. and I suggest get the highest level they offer: Preferred at $5.80 a month .... for the cost of one fast food meal a month, it's hard to justify a lessor level

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom