Having trouble hovering level, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The specifics of what posture adjustments do to your trim will vary from person to person, and even from one equipment setup to another. If you are using Jets with spring straps, the chances are that your feet will be negative enough that extending your legs will tend to tip you feet down/head up. If you are wearing very heavy neoprene on your legs, and using neutral or positive fins, doing the same thing might make you more head down. We all have to play with posture to see what the effects are.

This is a fun thing to do during a dive with a good buddy: Tell your buddy beforehand that you want feedback on your trim. Get somewhere where you can get in a good horizontal position while swimming. Stop, and see how you tilt. Ask your buddy for feedback -- he can tell you if your body is flat from shoulders to knees, and which way you are tilting. Then change your posture -- bend your knees and see if anything changes. Extend your arms. Bring your head back to the tank valve, or tip it down. You can do a lot of useful research in just a few minutes.

As Rick says, posture is key. When I started diving doubles, I spent several months moving things around and changing plates and the like, only to discover that, within a fairly broad range, I can trim out anything with my body position.

Hi Rick,

I may not be reading this right, but it is the opposite of what I have experienced.
The specifics of what posture adjustments do to your trim will vary from person to person, and even from one equipment setup to another.
I've confused myself now, so I'll go with what she said. Besides, I was standing on my head when I wrote the post. :wink:

Very heavy fins can add to the problem but normally won't cause it.

This was my final gear tweak. I switched to the OMS Slipstreams (made from a monoprene?) which were neutral than what I had been using.

What made me realize my fins may be heavy was when I was freediving/snorkeling (don't worry everyone I actually got a pair of more appropriate fins for freediving) and I was floating was my feet would sink.

That, and practice, and technique.

OK, I'm weird. I've heard of some people needing ankle weights to keep their feet down, but I am just the opposite. My feet want to go down and my body up. I seem to be able to control it a little with shallower breaths and it doesn't seem as big of a problem while I am moving forward, but I want to hover!
Is there something I may be doing? Could it be something like my tank is too low on my back? Am I just a :dork2:?
If it help I use a single tank, wet suit (doesn't seem to be different whether I use a 3mm shorty, or 5mm full suit, hood, gloves, ect.) and a Zeagle Ranger BC.
Thanks for any help!
Micah

Haven't read the whole thread... but some fins are just plain heavy.

I've confused myself now, so I'll go with what she said. Besides, I was standing on my head when I wrote the post. :wink:

Sounds good, she did say it very well (she usually does) :D

I'd bet we could hide 5#'s in NWGratefulDivers left DS pocket, and although he wouldn't like it, if you dived with him I'd bet his trim would still be spot on.
Someones gotta do that sometime :D

(and now NWGD is going to get all paranoid about it)

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. It looks like I have a lot to experiment with and maybe make a few adjustments.
One thing that did make a light come on was the suggestion that I might have heavy fins. Well, I do use SP jet fins...That may be one culprit, although I do like my fins, so I may try adjusting other things first.
I will do a little working on my weights first. Last weekend I went into the water with 5mil full wetsuit, hood, and gloves. I only had 5lbs in each pocket and well...you know what happened, I bobbed like a cork. I had forgotten that the last time I went all I had was a 3mil shorty. So I added 8lbs. Went down then, but didn't have time to do any more adjustments.
That is one problem I forsee that I guess I'll just have to spend some time with. Around here I go from a shorty, to a farmer john, to a full wetsuit it just a few months it seems. So this may be a year long thing or more.
I do thank everyone for your suggestions so far, I believe they will help tremendously!

Well, I do use SP jet fins...

That is what I switched from. I'll save them for the day I can get dry suit.

Those things are tanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom