Hawaii Dive Stores by shore diving spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwillits

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello
I'll start off with a sorry if this is an overdone thread, but I couldn't find something answering my question.

I've never been to Hawaii before, but a friend and I are going to be backpacking around Hawaii in December and want to do a few shore dives, but are going to be carless. Are there any dive shops that are within walking distance to a shore diving spot (We're fine with a bit of a trek and doing long surface swims)?
We haven't settled on which islands yet, and though I'm not really sure how he feels about it, this is going to be my determinate...
We've both only done diving in freezing California Kelp Forest waters, so really, any dive spot in Hawaii will be way different and we'll be pumped with.

We are flying into Honolulu and out of Hilo, but are considering going to another island as well if it sounds like it will be more accessible to explore. We are both pretty interested in exploring the Kona coast, but in terms of diving, it will all depend one what will be possible to do without a car.

i can't think of any island that has dive sites (shore) close to any dive shop with rentals, at least on O'ahu. only one would be surf and sea on the north shore but diving in the middle of winter on the north shore is if'y at best

Big Island is fun to trek around, to a degree, Volcano Nat Park a good example. I hope LeadTurn_SD will pop in for Hilo Side at least.
Kona side is not real walk about, a vehicle is considered the way to go unless say heading to a place like Volcano to stick and trek for a while. There is Hele-On public transportation. I'm not sure why but the Big Island is not a plethora of campgrounds and with rather strict regulations.
Kona side has the diving, some say best kind, and somewhere is diveable 360 days a year, just may not be where you are. Winter is the higher surf and swells time. Franko's Maps show you the dive sites maybe you could make the Hele-On work for you.
A shop up North in Kawaihae, not sure where the camping is in relation.
In Kona Jack's Diving Locker has 2 shops, one in Coconut Grove a short hike to the Pier (where you would see the cruise ships.) More diving along Alii Drive South, lot further than I'd like to haul dive gear tho.
Another shop is at Honokohau Harbor and a reasonable hike to Crescent Beach.

Have fun!

Mala Wharf/Pier in Lahaina on Maui is walking from Lahaina Divers or Pacific Dive around the corner. But it's a bit of a hike. I don't know of anything else within walking distance on Maui.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Lahaina Pier (Mala Ramp) of Maui, Hawaiian Islands

One option might be to catch a shuttle or bus to the Sheraton at Black Rock - there's a shoredive on-site as well as a diveop for tank rental.

The Kihei Islander bus route takes you past some shore dives/beaches in South Maui. The Kamaole's among others. I'm just not sure how close it drops you to the water. Not sure if you're allowed to bring tanks on the bus either. Maui County, HI - Official Website - Maui Bus Maps There's a local shuttle that runs around that area, he took me from mid-Wailea to North Kihei once for about $15 r/t. Saw it in the phonebook.

Maui Dreams Dive Co. is in Kihei, they do a lot of shorediving. Not sure where the store is though.

You might also try Shaka Doug, I think he'll pick you up in South Maui with the dive bus.

I can't think of anything accessible on Kauai. The shore dives I know around Poipu were several miles from SeaSports - the diveop in that area. Most required a car to drive there. Recently I read a new shops posting that they're close to Poipu Beach - one of the Kauai shoredive sites. Probably in one of the recent Kauai threads.

I'm not even sure there's any public transportation on Kauai - other than cabs.

Some of these sites have directions/distances: Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

Last edited:
I think diversteve is on to something; Resort dive operators. Unfortunately, one of the best resort dive locations has been closed for over 2 years and into the known future; Renaissance Wailea.

If you were to contact the many resort operators on Maui you would probably be able to dive more than 10 different shore dives with no car. You also may have to spend more money that way than renting a car and shore diving with regular dive shop gear at more than 10 better dive sites, and you would have a car for other fun things. :)

Back
Top Bottom