Kona Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrirulez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All!

I am planning a trip to Hawaii and I will be in Kona and was wondering if there is any reason to bring my tec gear or if it's not really worth it (can only get 5 or 6 dives in at most).

I couldn't find that much information about tec diving in Kona so I am wondering if it's because there is not that much to see. I am only certified to 160ft keep in mind.

If you guys know or have heard of a good store to ask or an easy to reach shore dive, let me know!

Thank you

Hi All!

I am planning a trip to Hawaii and I will be in Kona and was wondering if there is any reason to bring my tec gear or if it's not really worth it (can only get 5 or 6 dives in at most).

I couldn't find that much information about tec diving in Kona so I am wondering if it's because there is not that much to see. I am only certified to 160ft keep in mind.

If you guys know or have heard of a good store to ask or an easy to reach shore dive, let me know!

Thank you
I did a few tech dives in Kona back in (I think) 2005. Mostly we were going down the sandy slopes near the harbor to a max depth of about 190 ft. There were a few interesting things to see like wire coral and an abandoned metal pipe structure, plus on one dive a pair of huge manta rays flapped right past us. But honestly the best parts of those dives was decompressing on the shallow reefs.

There are supposed to be some more interesting tech sites further south but conditions were unsuitable when I was there.

You'll probably want to interface with a local tech diver/guide just to get the cylinders and gases you'd need for proper tech diving, so the link above or one or more the shops there (e.g. Jack's or less well known ones) could probably connect you with someone. They could also help you decide what to bring along with you. There are a few pretty clean & straightforward places to get 160+ft on a shore dive, so if you like doing deep [safely and properly] then it might be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom