Hawaii in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonie

New
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm going to be in Honolulu the whole of October for work. So of course I wanted to squeeze in some dives. I know you guys have probably heard this question asked to death, but I just wanted to know what the water temp is like then? I'm from a region where the water is nice and warm all year round!

I am also reading the other threads on recommendations for dive shops. But any more info is still appreciated. And if anybody needs a dive buddy, let me know? My colleagues with me don't dive :( They don't know what they are missing!

Also, I read somewhere that inter-island flights are at commercial altitudes, is that correct? Cos that mean I can't dive other islands over a weekend.....

Thanks all!

Water temps should still be at 80-82 F. The inter island hops are at 8000ish feet. Fly out friday night dive saturday fly back sunday. ALoha!

tonie:
Hi there

I'm going to be in Honolulu the whole of October for work. So of course I wanted to squeeze in some dives. I know you guys have probably heard this question asked to death, but I just wanted to know what the water temp is like then? I'm from a region where the water is nice and warm all year round!

I am also reading the other threads on recommendations for dive shops. But any more info is still appreciated. And if anybody needs a dive buddy, let me know? My colleagues with me don't dive :( They don't know what they are missing!

Also, I read somewhere that inter-island flights are at commercial altitudes, is that correct? Cos that mean I can't dive other islands over a weekend.....

Thanks all!

Inter island flights are at commercial altitudes. Pretty much all airlines pressurize their cabins to around 8K feet. You could check altitudes with the small carriers like Mokulele, but I think we're still talking too much altitude.

80-82? are you crazy wildcard???? The temp was 78-79 at the trench early Sept. (when we did the get together) at least that is what the mosquito and wisdom both recorded as the temp. I am just giving you a hard time wildcard (please don't read this as a nasty note, just need to give somebody a hard time). I have 76-79 recorded in my log books for Oct. 2004. I have been diving in a 3-4-5 mm wetsuit all year here, but I also get cold really easy and fast.

Thanks for the help! I guess I'm limited to diving on one island. And water sounds cold to me too.....

ch0ppersrule:
80-82? are you crazy wildcard???? The temp was 78-79 at the trench early Sept. (when we did the get together) at least that is what the mosquito and wisdom both recorded as the temp. I am just giving you a hard time wildcard (please don't read this as a nasty note, just need to give somebody a hard time). I have 76-79 recorded in my log books for Oct. 2004. I have been diving in a 3-4-5 mm wetsuit all year here, but I also get cold really easy and fast.

OK, Im posting Kona temps not Notrh shore temps I guess. My bad. Cripes! You freeze in 80 degree water! :05: How did you pull those off? LOL

I suppose 76-80 degree water isn't so bad, just cold for me. There were people diving in shorties at the labor day party. I must have terrible circulation. I freeze in my house with the a/c set at 74. Next wetsuit will be a straight 7mm. Then we will be leaving here and I will have to get a dry suit for wherever we go if the water is colder than this. TONIE- The diving is great here on O'ahu.

ch0ppersrule:
I suppose 76-80 degree water isn't so bad, just cold for me. There were people diving in shorties at the labor day party.

I also get cold very easily, and I was cold diving at the Labor Day GTG. Between November and February I am guaranteed to be freezing and usually end up cutting my dives short.

Not sure if it's me, but it seemed like the water warmed up rather late this year - it was still cold for me in late May.

Anyway, I currently dive with a 3/5 - always with a hood and sometimes with a 2 mil hooded vest - next wetsuit is probably going to be a straight 5 mil.

onfloat:
Maybe I'm not so crazy for diving a dry suit in Hawaii.

You were the smartest one there!

I hate to be cold and am not used to it (originally from southern AZ). I have been climatized here so I am also spoiled. I would never make it lake or quarry diving until I got the dry suit.

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom