Hawaii live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Marta,

My wife and I really want to do the Kona Aggressor again, it was a great boat. Next time, we're planning on spending more time on the island after our week of diving -- Kona is marvelous!

The one photo I *kick* myself for missing was on Paradise Pinnacle. I was the first one down and was hanging out at the edge of the wall at about 85 feet when an 8 foot Hammerhead came lumbering by about 10 feet from me. I didn't have my strobes or camera setup right and he was gone before I could get my fumbling fingers to move! You could tell that big boy owned that reef; he cruised by very leisurely and glanced at me like I was a road sign :D

John

Greetings John,

I wish you had gotten the shot - I'd love to see it. I only carry a small Canon Elph Power Shot SD700IS with the u/w housing. Not too much to set up for those quick shots.

Reminds me of one afternoon on the Kona Aggressor. We were buoyed up for the evening Manta dive. So most divers decided not to do the 4th, late afternoon dive. My buddy and I, and one other couple were the only divers for the 4th dive. Buddy and I drop in, and start to head down to Eel Garden before the other couple dropped in. BAM - a squadron of 9 or 10 Mantas in formation do a fly by above us, and we had left our cameras on deck! They aren't 30 feet away. NO CAMERA URRRGGGGG! That night only two Mantas at the show.

My first ever night dive and my 10th dive after OW certification was on the Kona Aggressor - the Manta dive. I was scared to death! But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. We had 16 Mantas show up - and I've got the video from the week, which shows the Manta dive. It was awesome.

Well, just more reason to go back to Kona. I've done that trip twice, and will certainly do it again. Fantastic trip....

Land tour time on the Big Island is a must. Maybe fit in 4-5 days before or after the dive trip. North shore is like stepping back in time. Hilo was pretty cool, and the volcano park outstanding.

Marta

Back
Top Bottom