Hawaii shore diving? It's a "sure" thing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. Great shore diving is what makes Maui the destination it is.

And, there's great freediving/snorkeling. I'm in the middle of a month here (both West and South) and without getting on a boat I've seen dolphins (swam with them for an hour!), mantas, spotted eagle rays, many different types of eels, octopi, crabs... turtles on nearly every instance of entering the water of course - everything but a shark (which I don't think I really want to see as a snorkeler/freediver anyway) or a whale (wrong season).

I agree with Aquaman... Shore diving is awesome. I've been diving steadily from shore since 1983 and I can tell you first hand..."YOU WILL SEE A LOT!"

Shore does not equal "Beginner" or "Baby Dive". Many times shore diving is more work than boat diving. Worth every bit of effort if you ask me. Of course, some days the shore diving is just not doable either. That's where local knowledge can be very handy.

Thanks for posting this thread Aqua.. Now why didn't you come say hey to me while you were here on Maui?? What sites did you dive?

We dove Makena Landing on Saturday, and Ulua beach yesterday. Viz in the shallows is not very good (Ulua was probably ten feet, and no more than 20 or so further out). But we saw turtles, three different species of morays, tons of reef fish, porcelain crabs, nudibranchs . . . Low viz means you go slower and look closer. The water is still warm :)

Shaka buddy!

Sorry I missed you on my short trip over but I will see you in March for sure if you are around!

For those of you inquiring on Maui shore diving - You'd do yourself a favor by tracking Shaka Doug down for some awesome diving!

The reviews speak for themselves.

As for the question regarding shore diving on the Big Island I've just never heard much mentioned. I'm sure some locals can chime in a provide some details. You CAN NOT go wrond with Maui shore diving though PERIOD. (can you write "PERIOD" and then add the punctuation mark?)

Maui shore diving at all levels of experience is awesome.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom