Hawaii trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew,

Thanks for the names of the other Nudi's. I missed the red striped pipe fish, but I saw the Whitley's Box Fish. Donna saw the pipe fish, I must have been looking in another direction. And yes, I also saw the Whitemouth Moray hunting with the Peackock Grouper. I was mostly going, Wow!, while I was on the dives, so I am sure I missed a lot. I'll add some to the thread later about the rest of our trip.

KrisB, Dive Makai is a really fun charter to dive with. They gave the best briefings I have ever had for a dive site, and I have had some good ones in the past. They tell you about the site and the layout, then they tell you what fish you will likely see while you are diving. They also show the fish in an ID book so you know what to look for when you hit the water. I've never had a charter do that before. If you know me, you also know I really enjoy reef fish and critter ID. I am pretty good with most of the Atlantic and Carribean sea life. The Pacific fish were a treat for me. If you ever dive Kona, dive with Dive Makai. They are unusually good in my humble opinion.

LioKai:
Our dive site logs are extensive, and go back 18 years on computer, and 10 more years on paper. 28 years of logs total. Compiled since the day we began.

That is MOST impresive! Wow! I will bookmark this for my next trip to Kona. I have been in Kona twice before, and I might be able to go there again next November (fingers crossed)... I hope I can go diving with you! Can you also get frogfish? I have yet to see one! Last time I looked and looked desperately for one, and nothing...

I also enjoyed reading your report, Dennis.

-- Itziar

A request for Frog Fish -
His name is "Super Grunge". The mouth is to the right. Super Grunge is the ultimate "Master" of camoflage.

This photo is Kendra's.

Cool! If all are like "Super Grunge", no wonders I have never seen one: well, I might have seen them, but never noticed them!

Thanks Matthew, I am looking forward to seeing more of Kendra's photographs. I usually look for photographs of Hawaii in the galleries of scubaboard so that I can remember what the marine life there is like. The colours are amazing! Good stuff!

-- Itziar

Part 2:

Ok, I forgot to mention the Pearl Harbor visit while we were in Oahu. That was very interesting. The Arizona Memorial is moving to say the least.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/673Arizona_1_sm.jpg?8924

After our stay in Kona, we drove around the South of Hawaii by South Point. We didn’t actually go to South Point because our car rental agreement didn’t allow the drive to South Point. Why? I haven’t a clue. It was a very nice drive and we went to Volcanoes National Park, where we could see and walk down into the Kilauea caldera. We both enjoyed the park visit. The Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour was great. The tour went over the waterfalls North of Hilo and then over to where the lava was flowing out of a vent on the side of Kilauea. The pilot was very good with the helicopter and he knew the area very well, so we got a lot of local color as well as the volcano tour.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/673Kilauea_Caldera_4_sm.jpg
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/673Kilauea_Vent_5_sm.jpg

We spent one night in Hilo and then flew to Maui. The trip to Maui was basically to do the bike ride and to meet Jim (Gilligan). The bike ride was a lot of fun, but Jim warned us that several people each week are injured taking the bicycle tour. We were careful and there were no injuries. Donna researched the tour company fairly well before we left for Hawaii and Mountain Riders Bike Tours is one of the 5 or so tour operators allowed in the National Park. They also started the safety programs used by the reputable tour operators. We took the wimp and cheaper version of the tour. Instead of meeting at 3AM, we met at 7:15AM and we were supposed to only take the ride halfway down. The tour guides told us that it would be easier if we just did the whole tour and also we would get lunch even though we didn’t pay for the full tour. So folks, take the $59 tour, you may just get the $115 tour anyway. What a deal.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/673D_D_with_Bikes_sm.jpg

After the stay in Maui (2 nights) we flew from there back home, changing planes in Honolulu and then in Dallas / Fort Worth. We had a wonderful time, met several new friends, Lisa, Matthew and Kendra, and Jim. How could it get any better?

I should have flown with you to the Big Island. Would have loved to see the lava flow!

Lisa,

It's still flowing. Check for a deal on the internet and go see it. I recommend Blue Hawaii Helicopters if you are going to do a flying tour.

Hey Dennis!
I might get Roger to fly over with me :D Which tour did you take? The "Big Island Spectacular" or the "Circle of Fire plus Waterfalls"?

Lisa,

I assume we did the Circle of Fire plus Waterfalls since that is what we saw. It was fun, if you get to pick, sit in the front with the pilot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom