Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitetigerdiver

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all!
We're going to Hawaii in a week, and since part of the family doesnt dive, I'ld like some input on what they can do (I'll be in the water :bfish: ). We will be on the big island, Oahu, and Kauai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I don't have to hear the whining!
Thanks
Betsy

I would recommend geocaching!
If you've never heard of it, think of it as a high-tech treasure hunt using a GPS receiver.
In finding the hidden containers, you will see places you would've probably never seen, and the kids will have a blast.
That would be my vote.

whitetigerdiver:
Hi all!
We're going to Hawaii in a week, and since part of the family doesnt dive, I'ld like some input on what they can do (I'll be in the water :bfish: ). We will be on the big island, Oahu, and Kauai.

Thanks
Betsy
On the Big Island, make the drive to Volcanoes Nat'l Park. Especially if there's an eruption going on it's really something to see. Long drive from the Kohala coast though. We also liked the Parker Ranch area in the high country, it's a pleasant drive and surprisingly built-up, there's plenty of stores/restaurants. Good golf courses too. Also if you have kids, there's captive dolphins at one of the big resorts on the coast, only a few guests are allowed to swim with them, but you can watch up close. And there's a protected snorkel area at the same resort, with a casual restaurant right over it, I spent a very pleasant afternoon there.

On Oahu Waikiki Beach is worth a quick drive-by. For one thing just to see the amount of people on the beach. And there's some classic old Hawaii still mixed in, you just have to look for it. A good starting place is Duke's. We drove out to the Waikiki Aquarium, it's been around since the 1900's. Not the best I've seen but certainly entertaining. On the way you'll pass right by Diamondhead.

I was on Kauai years ago, right after the hurrricane, so some of this may have changed, but I'd go to Poipu Beach. The non-divers can snorkel in about 3' of water and see lots of tropical fish, sometimes there's seals sunning themselves. We also did the river cruise to the Fern Grotto, nothing to write home about but for $10 not bad.

Waimea Canyon is another must see. They claim it's better than the Grand Canyon. It's certainly a lot greener than it is here...

whitetigerdiver:
Hi all!

Thanks
Betsy

Kauai has a beautiful site with a turtle cleaning station. Saw 8-10 Sea Turtles, a 6' white tip shark, loads of other stuff. Viz was about 100'. Its on the south side of the Island, I believe. I went there in July, 2001.

Also, the Lava tubes are fun.

Aloha Betsy!

I'm sure you will have a great time while you are here. There is a great website called Go Hawaii. The have shows and events listed - things to see and do on all the islands. Might give you an idea what your family can do while you're blowing bubbles.

If you are here on Oahu over the weekend or on Wednesday, try the swap meet at aloha stadium (Bus line 42 if I am not mistaken)...lots of cool stuff and the prices are good.

If you want to learn about the various Polynesian cultures you can't miss Polynesian Cultural Center. They even offer a luau. (closed on Sundays)

Along with the aquarium, Waikiki also has a very nice zoo. Saturdays there is "Art on the fence" Wher local artists can show and sell their work

Next weekend Waikiki will be offering Sunset on the Beach (June 26 & 26, from 4-9PM). They put up a big screen and show a movie on the beach (diferent one on Sat and Sun). Last time I was there they had a couple of bands playing...until the sun went down and the movie started. This is free :D

Every Sunday starting at 1PM you can go to a free concert at Ward Warehouse - local bands. Promotion thing.

I guess the rest you can get off the go hawaii site.

Have fun!

Lisa

Other things to do on the Big Island... the Botanical Gardens just north of Hilo is a great little walk/tour. If you like to hike there are bunches of options, the White Road trail up in Waimea will take you to the back side of Waipio valley, it's an easy hike and well worth it, go in the morning to beat the clouds and have a view. There's always the Place of Refuge, historical and great snorkeling just outside of the park. If everyone snorkels, the manta dive is a must, they've had mantas every night but one the last three weeks or so.

Have fun,

whitetigerdiver:
Hi all!

Thanks
Betsy
Go to tripadvisor.com
Forums
Hawaii
Research these forums - ask questions - - lots of wonderful information There is sooo much to do on the islands! We leave in 3 days for Kauai & the Big Island!

whitetigerdiver:
Hi all!

Thanks
Betsy

In kauai, rent kayaks and go up the wailua river. There used to be a shop called Chris the Fun Lady in Kappaa for rentals. On the river you can stop at the fern groto, the rope swing and take a short hike thought papaya orchards to a secret waterfall. Chris can tell you all about it, if she is still there.

Have a great trip.

There are a series of books with good info on what to do on the islands. My parents bought Maui Revealed and Oahu revealed when they came to visit us. So I guess its the (insert island name here) "Revealed" books. They have a lot of good info on where to eat, less touristy yet very cool things to see, best beaches, best shows, best luaus etc.

While on Kauai go to Polehale Beach if you can get there. It's worth the extra effort of getting out there. I'd rent a jeep or some kind of SUV for this. Just dont tell the retal car company that you're going there. Also try Koloa Landing for both shore diving and snorkeling for the rest of the family. Its a really easy entry and most dive ops go there, but you dont need one if you're comfortable with shore diving on your own.
Check out Fathom Five dive op on Kauai.
A trip to Ni'ihau is cool too. You can take one of those charters out there and they let everyone snorkel, plus feed you and let you drink. We went with Blue Dolphin charters when we did it and for an extra $25 we got to dive instead of snorkel, and to this day it's still undoubtedly the best dive I have ever done.

Check out Oki Diner in Lihue for some tasty ono grinds. The food there is awesome. Pancakes for breakfast and Neils Favorite chicken for lunch. Everything we tried there was awesome.

On Oahu...
The Aloha Market at the stadium is pretty cool, its a great place to get all your Hawaii gifts for friends and family back home. Lots of souvenir stuff as well as really tasty Hawaiian jams and sauces.
Go to Hale'iwa on the North Shore, it's a neat little town, great diving very near by (Shark's Cove, Three Tables, The Trench, etc). Also the Dole plantation is on the way up there. I have never been, but there are always a lot of people there, so my guess is it might be worth checking out.
Also Sea Life park on the East side of the island is a good family activity. My guess is it's like Sea World, but Hawaiian Style. I hear it's a nice place.
The aquarium in Waikiki is worth checking out, its pretty neat and I think tickets are only $9 for non residents. The zoo is right there as well, but I have never been so I have no idea what its like.
Waikiki is way over rated by the way, spend more time other places. The beach there is crappy and really rocky and really really busy. Even if you head closer to Diamondhead there are less people and the beach is a bit nicer. I don't know why Waikiki is as popular as it is, it's really not worth it.

Check out Big City Diner on Oahu. There is one in Kaimuki and also one at the Ward Center. Good for local style food or even a great cheeseburger.

Hope that helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom