Hawaiian Airlines $100 charge to check scuba equipment on flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While planning our trip to Kauai, I thought I would check up on all those hidden fees that are slapped on hapless Hawaiian vacation travelers. I was shocked to discover that Hawaiian air will charge you $100 one way and $35 between islands to check scuba gear. I have already confirmed this directly with the carrier. $270 for my mask, snorkel, Backplate/wing, regulator, and only one pair of fins...Wetsuit, gloves and booties / hood roundtrip.I don't have much choice in airlines, the obvious answer, take another carrier, is somewhat out of the question, due to time of day, layovers, price. It would be cool to pack my gear and ship it there, but where to?

While planning our trip to Kauai, I thought I would check up on all those hidden fees that are slapped on hapless Hawaiian vacation travelers. I was shocked to discover that Hawaiian air will charge you $100 one way and $35 between islands to check scuba gear. I have already confirmed this directly with the carrier. $270 for my mask, snorkel, Backplate/wing, regulator, and only one pair of fins...Wetsuit, gloves and booties / hood roundtrip.I don't have much choice in airlines, the obvious answer, take another carrier, is somewhat out of the question, due to time of day, layovers, price. It would be cool to pack my gear and ship it there, but where to?

This is news to me: I haul scuba gear interisland all the time, and have never paid extra for it. I'd just pack the fins, exposure protection, plate/harness, and snorkle into your checked bag(s)... and carry on the wing and regs. Nobody needs to declare to the airline what's in their bags (absent hazardous items not applicable here).

Heck, I moved a whole herd of steel and AL tanks to Oahu on United and never paid a dime extra for it. Only thing I made sure to do was slip the EWR curbside baggage guy $10-$20 for his troubles.

Interesting, I've flown Hawaiian Airlines as recently as November and only paid the "normal" baggage fee. Readily identifiable Akona bags as well. Was never asked or questioned.

It will be interesting to read other folks' experiences.

We've been flying Hawaiian for years and dragging dive gear back and forth from Washington to Maui and have never paid extra for it. Just pack your stuff and check it. You don't need to tell them what's in the bag.

they sell 10 dollar hamburgers on flight also if your not satisfied with your small bag of peanuts

We've been flying Hawaiian for years and dragging dive gear back and forth from Washington to Maui and have never paid extra for it. Just pack your stuff and check it. You don't need to tell them what's in the bag.

Had the same expirience in Oct on United going to Kauai, packed my bag with my dive stuff, stuffed some clothes where it could fit and not go over 50 lbs and paid my standard baggage fee. No problems at all except going through carry on screening, I had to take my regs out of my backpack for a better look since they couldn't tell what they were going through the X-ray machine.

thanks for the update anyways my trip last year on hawaiian was horrible hnl to las no food and only some peanuts:(
Asked for some real food and they told me burgers are 10 bucks

Its about time these airlines get there stuff together.

***** Hawaiian is one of the only carriers that still offers a complimentary meal from mainland to Hawaii:

Hawaiian Airlines Revamps In-Flight Catering | Travel News from Fodor's Travel Guides

I agree, pack it and who needs to know what's in it.

G

Last edited by a moderator:
The secret is a single line in the Hawaiian Airlines carriage contract...

Special items which may or may not be identified below but which may be packed in a standard suitcase and checked in as baggage will be exempt from the charges identified below.

Hawaiian Airlines : Contract of Carriage

If it fits in a standard suitcase/bag and does not need special handling you are exempt from the charges. This would not include a tank, as that must be inspected and must have the valve removed. But most everything else should be OK.

I have an old Samsonite plastic clamshell that is just under the max dimensions. With careful packing I can fit, barely, two BCD's, two sets of fins, two shorties, booties, masks, snorkels and lights. It counts as a standard bag and I pay the usual bag fee. The camera, regs and computers go in the carry-on bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom