Headaches and Headspins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost
Have you gotten dizzy since then? Its possible to have calcium deposits behind your ear drum that become lose after a dive -- can mess with your equalibrium for weeks until it settles somewhere.....

This is a good one for dizzy! I have a student that almost every time get dizzy after her dives. She even went to Doc with no result at all. She seem to be very healthy,
Where can I find more info about the calcium deposits?
Benign Paroxsysmal Positional Vertigo

Could well be this - comes and goes as it pleases - very scary first time until you know what it is - then you know when its going to happen and learn to live with it. Nothing much to be done except maybe the excercises in the link to try and move it all around out of the way of the sensory 'hairs' that detect motion.

Tends to occur when you tip / move the head in a certain way, climbing a ladder would be ideal............ so you can easily anticipate it - lasts for maybe 5 - 10 seconds in my case - no real dramas with it as you know when its going to happen. Not sure if it causes headaches though - I never got them but was prescribed Sturgeron for motion sickness which I never got so never took !!

A trip to a doc will soon diagnose it - a simple test involving sitting up - looking a certain way and lying down looking at the doc should diagnose this - eye movements give it away - I believe as your brain thinks your moving one way - your eyes see things differently and they give some sort of tremor/movement due to conflicting signals (maybe!)

Can just go away on its own - in my case I can force it to happen - and do so to remind myself it is there - but I am acclimatised to it now and it does not affect my everyday life.

Pyromaniac:
Benign Paroxsysmal Positional Vertigo

Could well be this - comes and goes as it pleases - very scary first time until you know what it is - then you know when its going to happen and learn to live with it. Nothing much to be done except maybe the excercises in the link to try and move it all around out of the way of the sensory 'hairs' that detect motion.

Tks! Very useful! i'm gonna let her know. Maybe she can learn to live with it like you did. or at least let her doc know and confirm the diagnosis.

No problem Paula, it sounds / looks in that link a lot worse than it actually is.

Of course it might not be this, so she should let the doc decide.

Just tell her to say to the doc or whoever, that she heard it might be BPPV - a bit easier to remember, they can soon look up the excercise to use to try and diagnose it.

Were you breathing air or something else?

Do you know what hypercapnia is?

Are you aware of your respiration speed and rate?

Ok i think it is co2 retention, i sometimes hold my breath for a few seconds between inhaling and exhaling. Also I think I need to drink more the dive. I have never had these headspins any other time. Hypercapnia is CO2 retention? Not aware of my respiration speed and rate?

Thanks for all the help and I will make sure I hydrate and try not to hold my breath between inhaling and exhaling on my first night dive on Saturday night.

Thanks again,
Jordan

paula paz:
Tks! Very useful! i'm gonna let her know. Maybe she can learn to live with it like you did. or at least let her doc know and confirm the diagnosis.

Paula - a doctor can easily see the deposits on the hairs behind the ear drum, so doc confirmation would be a snap. But as the other post said, she would be shown ways of moving her head (up, down left, right ect) in an effort to get the deposit to settle down in a new place – then she would not have to live with it as she would be cured, I think it takes a few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom