Headed to cave country need some info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSwain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are headed to cave country later this month and have the systems layed out we would like to do. We will be headed to Ginnie Springs first then to Little River, Peacock/Orange Grove and then on our last day Telford Springs.

We are both Intro cave and have been in the Devils and Peacock/Orange Grove systems. But Little River and Telford are new to us. I talked to Cathy at Diver Out Post and she said that you have to swim up river about 400 to 500 feet to get to Telford. Is there anything else we may need to know about diving Little River and Telford? Any pointers/hints? Things to look for? Places to stay near these dive sites? Is there a Fee at Little River? Any help/info will be appreciated!
Thanks T.S.

I usually stay at the Cadillac Motel in High Springs and radiate out from there.

Be in great shape. The swim to Telford can be walked along the side of the river if the flow is too bad.. the water is down at the inlet to the spring so you'll be crossing (about) 25' of soft sand and some slippery rocks. It's all worth it when you see how pretty it is though; cave changes every 100'.

Little River.. a walk and stairs to haul your gear to the water, viz and flow can be a challenge, but I hear it's nice right now.

Little River is the ugliest cave in FL out of the 30 something I've seen. I guess do it once....

Telford is neat, but the river swim can be difficult. Ginnie is rough because of the flow at the Intro level, but one of the best intro caves IMO, behind Peacock and OG.

James, I have a hypothesis that LR gets prettier past the section that looks like a colon.

Since I am unwilling to test my hypothesis, can someone confirm or deny?

Tswain, you might have a better dive at Madison, the river swim is a pita at Telford :)

We have done Madison and were wanting to do a few that we have not done yet. I think we may spend another day at Pecock or do Manatee. Thanks for all the info so far!
You couldn't pay me enough to swim at Manatee. I did it once at Intro level and never again until I owned a DPV.

What about heading to JB, Hole in the Wall, or Twin? Those are more excellent intro caves.

Since I am unwilling to test my hypothesis, can someone confirm or deny?
lol everything I've heard is Little River is always prettier if you go "a little further". Each time I go further I get told it's further than that. I gave up, screw that place.

I swam to the Florida room once and I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe its worth another trip.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom