Headed to HI (Kauai, Maui) Dive Tip/Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeptic14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are headed to Kauai and Maui in May and are looking for any tips or suggestions on diving.

Right now we are planning to mostly hike in Kauai unless there is 1 or 2 must do dives or really good snorkel spots?

For Maui, I saw the other recent thread on Maui diving in May. Sounds like Mike Severn is a great operation to use for boat diving in Maui. After reading his website, it sounds like they pick the site based on conditions which is fine with me, but if we are given a choice, what would be good ones to try? My wife and I are new divers so nothing to advanced.

We are also planning to do Black Rock and Makena from the shore. We've snorkeled Black Rock and liked it so we figured why not dive it too. And Makena looks pretty cool. Any other shore dive spots that are really good and easy entry are appreciated.

Thanks

Here's some info on the Molokini sites: http://www.mauiinformationguide.com/molokini-crater-scuba-dive.php
We dive the deeper stuff so I don't have a recommendation. Although I did dive along Tako Flats once and found a bright green scorpionfish. You might see white tips sleeping in the sand heading back toward Maui but if you don't see them first (200' vis) - it's pretty boring to swim out and look for them. No worries about them, they won't let you get within 20'.

As long as you're down at Makena, Polo, Ulua or Wailea Beaches are also easy entry shore dives. Get tanks at Maui Dreams Dive Co or the Maui Dive Shop(s) - both in Kihei. Severns runs their operation from the boat ramp so likely can't provide any. If you feel like a drive north on Maui - Kapalua Beach is a good shallow dive also.

If you change your mind about Kauai - Koloa Landing is a good shallow dive. Easy entry also, down an old boat ramp. Get tanks at Fathom Five or Seasport Divers in nearby Poipu. Sheraton Caverns is the signature boat dive there - big turtles.

Options on both islands: http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

Last edited:
I'll do some research on those Kauai spots and see if we want to take a break from hiking one day.

Kapalua was also one I'd found when looking up good shore dives on Maui, and we are staying in Kaanapali so it's not far, whereas it's more of a drive to Makena, about an hour.

Thanks

In Maui, if the surf is not up too high, do a "scooter dive" at Mile Marker 14, south of Lahaina, with a dive op that can take you. It is a very easy shore entry, shallow dive, with a great turtle cleaning station and decent coral. We did that the last time in Maui, and it was a blast. If you can't get a scooter dive, do the dive anyway.

I had a sense you were staying in Kihei - not Ka'anapali - probably the Severns reference. But here's the downside to diving with them from Ka'anapali - they leave at 6AM or before since they like to be the first boat at Molokini. Most of the Kihei shops leave early also, they have smaller boats since they launch off the ramp and the tradewinds pick up around noon so most like to be back along the Maui coast for their 2nd dive well before that.

Lahaina Divers is an option in Lahaina just a little south. They have a couple of big boats so that allows them to go to Molokini or Lana'i from there daily. There's some good diving off Lana'i also - the Cathedrals being the signature dive. LD is going to group you by experience level (8 divers per DM) and may put a 2nd DM in the water with newer divers also.

Another option is Extended Horizons - also in Lahaina but they only dive Lana'i. As does Hawaaiian Rafting Adventures - they have a big fixed hull zodiac style boat.

If you're up for a night dive, do the Lahaina DIvers boat dive on Thursday night. They dive a site along the coast and the 2nd dive is Mala PIer - arguably one of the best shallow dives on Maui. It's only 35' deep max and just off the harbor in Lahaina - in fact it's a difficult entry shore dive during the day. It's the Twilight/Night Dive listed near the bottom here: http://www.lahainadivers.com/reservations

If you're looking for a 2nd shore dive near Black Rock, Old Airport (Kahekali Beach) is just a little north of there. It's pretty shallow and in one area there's some debris from when they used to load sugar cane on ships there. Look in the open-ended things for octo's - we saw 3-4 during the day - one even hung around for a few minutes. The reef starts pretty close in also - maybe 100' or so.

The Maui Dive Shops all have a shore dive handout/map. And Lahaina Divers has this: http://www.lahainadivers.com/content/maui-beach-diving

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info and links.

Leaning toward renting gear from Seasport divers (or fathom five) and doing two tanks at Koloa landing on Kauai.

On Maui, will have to decide between Mike Severn or Ed Robinson for boat dives and then probably black rock and Kapalua for shore dives. The sheraton rents gear right on the beach which is convenient.

Even though it's a 45 minute drive and will be an early morning, I'd rather the shorter boat rides from Kihie than Maalaea harbor (I think).

Any feedback on picking between Robinson or Severn is welcome, both seem like great operations.

Thanks

Both first class operations and I don't think you can go wrong. Many memorable dives with both companies. I personally think that if you have the chance to dive with Pauline at Severns - you will be in for an amazing treat. Her knowledge of - and passion for diving is amazing. The whole staff has impressed me for that matter.

I think your research has ultimately led you to choosing between two wonderful companies and you'll be happy either way.

Enjoy your diving on both islands. If you go self guided at Koloa still inquire about hot spots/critters at the landing so your chances of seeing the amazing stuff is more likely. 5 Frog fish there right now!!!!

Happy diving
A

As you're driving up from Ka'anapali to Kapalua you'll pass a Maui Dive Shop on the left in Kahana Gateway Mall. It's right off the main road so convenient for tanks.

I have dove both Kauai and Maui. Both are great! Koloa is a great choice, but I have never been disappointed by any of my dives on kauai. On kauai I have dove mostly with Seaport, but am using Fathom Five for my trip this Feb. On Maui I dove with Ed R. on the back wall of the crater, second dive on the inside was blah. I also did a bunch of shore dives with Shaka Doug which were great saw way more sea live on the shore dives with Doug than any of the other dives. I have heard good things about Severns but have not had the chance to go with them.

I have dived with both Mike Severns and Ed Robinson. The Severns group gets a lot of praise here, however I had two of my lifetime best dives with Ed's boat. Dave, who was leading my dive gave a great pre-dive briefing. He not only discussed the normal things, he pointed out the rare endemic fish we might see. As if on cue they showed up. I saw a conical shell mollusk eating a crown of thorns. Sweet enough scene, that I added a strobe to my camera for this year. I have already booked with Ed for this month.

I do not believe you can go wrong with either boat.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom